pcdvi to hdsdi with BMD dvi extender and videohub, works?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

joeyloman

pcdvi to hdsdi with BMD dvi extender and videohub, works?

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm

I have a PC that has a DVI output that I want switched into my HD SDI broadcast system. I converted the DVI to HD SDI and it showed up nicely on the tek scope as a 720p 60fps picture. Looked fine. The HDSDI DVI extender seems to pass the HD SDI at the same video format as the input. The video card on the computer didnt have a mode for 59.94 so I set it to 60 (others like 30 and 50 didnt display at all.)

When I connected the HD SDI to my Tricaster 850, It worked fine as well. However, when I connected it to the harris HD SDI video router to get it into the broadcast system, it wouldnt show the video and had a black screen. The scope didnt register the output from the harris either.

The only thing I can think of why it wouldnt show up is that the harris may not have trilevel sync like the scope and the tricaster and resync the signal. The scope shows my broadcast system HD SDI video as being 720p59.94 and the output of the HDSDI Extender as 720p60.

Can I use a BMD 16x16 videohub and my trilevel sync generator to re-time the HD SDI from the BMD DVI extender so my harris will see the video as 720p59.94?

Or, should I look for a video card that has drivers that output the DVI at 720p59.94 so the source is correct before it gets to the broadcast network?

Brian Hancock

Re: pcdvi to hdsdi with BMD dvi extender and videohub, works

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 pm

i'd look for a card first ... you may want to check and see if your card just isn't showing you all available options ...

go to desktop right click, properties, settings, advanced, adapter, and list all modes if xp ... i'll have to look for 7 or vista ... sometimes windows doesn't list all your cards options also be sure you have most upto date drivers for your card sometimes they have other options as well ...

but i'd think a card with appropriately timed output would work fine ... conversely the decklink cards have an option to output desktop extended on mac ... or so i've read

Return to Getting Started