The Last of the Beta questions?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

WabiSabi

The Last of the Beta questions?

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 8:05 pm

I need to batch digitize a large project I've converted from an old Avid via Automatic Duck and Sebsky Tools. The tapes are Betacam SP. I want to take the component out and have RS-422 9-pin remote control the Beta for days/nights of batch digitizing. It's very important I keep the same timecode. This is an SD off-line, but I want it to look good. I'm going to FCP 7 (not X) on a Mac Book Pro running 10.7.5. The MBP is a 2011 with Firewire 800, USB, Thunderbolt. I suppose I should upgrade to Mountain Lion.

What Black Magic device do I need and will there be issues?

I tried this with an older AJA IO box, but the combination of old and new and old presented seemingly insurmountable lip-sync problems (I believe it wanted snow leopard.)

Thanks for considering my question.

David Stembridge

Re: The Last of the Beta questions?

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Did you find a solution? I am in the need of almost the same thing; however TC not an issue for me, I just would like to convert my old Beta SP Footage keeping as clean as possible. I have a Grass Valley ADV-55 converter; but it relies on sVideo.... doesn't look awful; but I would like higher quality if possible!

WabiSabi wrote:I need to batch digitize a large project I've converted from an old Avid via Automatic Duck and Sebsky Tools. The tapes are Betacam SP. I want to take the component out and have RS-422 9-pin remote control the Beta for days/nights of batch digitizing. It's very important I keep the same timecode. This is an SD off-line, but I want it to look good. I'm going to FCP 7 (not X) on a Mac Book Pro running 10.7.5. The MBP is a 2011 with Firewire 800, USB, Thunderbolt. I suppose I should upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I tried this with an older AJA IO box, but the combination of old and new and old presented seemingly insurmountable lip-sync problems (I believe it wanted snow leopard.)

WabiSabi

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 am

I went with the Blackmagic Ultra Studio Express that costs around $470. It has the breakout for component and XLR audio inputs, remote for the Beta. One of the hidden costs is that you have to buy a $50. Thunderbolt cable. It controlled the machine perfectly, occasionally needing a restart between sessions. The problem came when I compared an identical clip that was captured with an expensive professional AJA card on another computer. Both were captured SD ProRez422, but the Blackmagic captured clip was not anywhere as crisp and it had way more noise. I had attempted a 720x486 FCP setting, and that's what it says I've digitized in the FCP bin. But if I open the movies in straight Quicktime, "Movie Inspector" doesn't say ProRez 720x486. It instead says 'acpn' 720x486(640x480) and it says "Current size: 640x480". I don't get it because I checked all my capture settings and it should have been ProRez 720x486. And my Data Size is 119 MB, compared with the expensive AJA that gave me 12 GB. So anyway, either I'm doing something wrong, or the Blackmagic Ultra Studio codec is not great, or both. I don't know about the Grass with the sVideo, but I can't imagine it looks worse that what my results. What I have is OK for an off-line, but not good enough for broadcast on-line.

javapop wrote:Did you find a solution? I am in the need of almost the same thing; however TC not an issue for me, I just would like to convert my old Beta SP Footage keeping as clean as possible. I have a Grass Valley ADV-55 converter; but it relies on sVideo.... doesn't look awful; but I would like higher quality if possible!

WabiSabi wrote:I need to batch digitize a large project I've converted from an old Avid via Automatic Duck and Sebsky Tools. The tapes are Betacam SP. I want to take the component out and have RS-422 9-pin remote control the Beta for days/nights of batch digitizing. It's very important I keep the same timecode. This is an SD off-line, but I want it to look good. I'm going to FCP 7 (not X) on a Mac Book Pro running 10.7.5. The MBP is a 2011 with Firewire 800, USB, Thunderbolt. I suppose I should upgrade to Mountain Lion.

David Stembridge

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 4:35 am

I appreciate the note back, I have a friend that has a device he'll let me borrow tomorrow, not sure if it's a BlackMagic Intensity Pro or Shuttle, or something else. Aside from a few old news stories I'd like to convert, most of it is home movies.... shot with the news cam before I had anything else to use.
Thank you!

ps... here's one I pulled off using the ADV-55

I just used Apple Compressor to convert to H.264 for youtube. Sizing seems a little off.

WabiSabi wrote:I don't know about the Grass with the sVideo, but I can't imagine it looks worse that what my results. What I have is OK for an off-line, but not good enough for broadcast on-line.

Return to Getting Started