What programs needed ?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jbarrow

What programs needed ?

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 2:29 pm

This is my first attempt to transfer HD tapes and HD harddrive

I am using Win 7- 64 bit Do i need to change to Win 7 32bit ?

I recodered the HD tapes on a JVC digtal recorder and must use firewaire to trensfer HD to hard drive to maintain HD

I have many hard drive's with recordered HD movies. I have the STB that I recodered the hard drives
Plan to reinstall hard drive and play. Using the HDMI output.

I have purchased one (1) NEW "Black Magic Design Intensity Pro HDMI Video Editing Card "
to transfer by HDMI

I also have purchased a "Grass Valley ADVC 110 ADVC110 Canopus " to transfer by firewire.

The only media programs I have is from AVS4YOU
What other software hould I purchase if any ??

I am a novice in this area, so I don need some advice on "SoftWare"

You can email me at " jbarrow11@verizon.net "

Esa Kranz

Re: What programs needed ?

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 7:42 pm

OK, there is something you need to know about firewire: it is too slow interface for moving uncompressed HD. Therefore the only known HD format through firewire is HDV, which is a compressed video format.

On the other hand the Grass Valley ADVC110 is made only for Standard Definition analog to digital conversion. It accepts analog Composite or S-Video signal, and converts it to DV (Digital Video) format. [DV has low enough bitrate to be transferrred over firewire].
- This device has no upscaling function and can not be used for producing HDV out of SD sources!

What you need is an editing software that can use your HDV source materials and supports your Intensity Pro card as output device.
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Liam Kennedy

Re: What programs needed ?

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 9:35 pm

It would help if you let us know exactly what camera you have.

If you just want to transfer the HDV recorded video via firewire you don't actually need any devices from black magic. As long as you have firewire input in your PC just connect your camera using Firewire and use any compatible capture software to do that transfer. The Canopus box is not needed.

Does your PC have firewire? If not is it a Desktop? If yes - then you can get a $20 firewire card. Is a laptop? Does it have an expresscard slot? If it does... get a firewire expresscard ($20 should do it).

Most PC video editing software can capture direct from HDV sources via firewire (I use Sony Vegas). You can download a free trial and see if that will work for you.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started