Blackmagic not honoring promotional sale price of bmpcc

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Manoel Flesch

Re: Blackmagic not honoring promotional sale price of bmpcc

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Oh great, seems like I have to wait another month or what?!
I also ordered on 7/17 and according to these posts no reseller has a ******* clue?! Sorry but that IS just stupidity by Blackmagic. First a big sale, great. Than they obviously don't have enough to fullfill the orders, fine untill everyone that ordered gets the camera. But not telling your resellers when the freaking order arrives so they can tell the customers is just stupid and realy drives me mad. I bought some gear and I ordered so soon because I was expecting the camera to run out of stock sooner or later but over a month of waiting time and still no info when it will come to an end? Come on guys that sucks. If this takes any longer than 8/31 this whole sale is just madness...Get your head out of your ass and do something for you're customers.

Chris Leutger

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 3:11 am

Tony from BM had posted on another thread that they were making them and sending them to resellers. I ordered from B&H on 7/17 (after hours so posted as 7/18) and my Pocket was sent out last Thursday. I should have it by Tuesday. So there is movement in the chain.
Amateur Auteur

AMD 7800X3d 8c 5 GHz - GSkill DDR5-6000 (EXPO) 32x2
Nvidia 1080 Ti 8GB - WD SN850x 2 TB
Resolve 18.5 - Ubuntu 22.04

Scott Waby

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 6:34 pm

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, watching the BMPCC debacle.

However, it seems that cameras are definitely moving - I ordered one on the 24th July, and it was shipped on Friday last week from a UK reseller.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it now!

Christian Schmitt

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 pm

BM and their resellers need to work sth out fast. I see the Pocket as an entry into BM shooting.
Even if BM would take a loss fulfilling all the sale orders, there's so much to gain: Trust in their brand.
You don't have to be a marketing guru to see that this might be the single most important thing a company can do.
If you promise sth, deliver it. If you struggle while doing so, people may get annoyed, but still know they can count on you.
I will wait another month, even two, but deliver. And put an official statement out, that you will.
No need for a date, but stop the guessing game, if you will at all.
I`m sure you guys are operating at your limit at the moment. Getting the URSA out. Maybe introducing new stuff at IBC and/or Photokina.
People will understand. Just talk to them.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 11:27 pm

The supply issue was addressed in another thread I replied to in the Cinematography section of our forums. Basically what was said is that we're sending them out to our distributor as quickly as we get them in.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Manoel Flesch wrote:... Come on guys that sucks. If this takes any longer than 8/31 this whole sale is just madness...Get your head out of your ass and do something for you're customers.

If there is anyone in BlackMagic that is reading this thread, they should bring it up to their CEO or COO and let them know their potential customers are upset for their non-communication. It's just bad execution not to because it will bite them back someday. Someone in BM should notify the resellers when they are to expect full shipments too.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Today is week 6 since I ordered the BMPCC from B&H. I just got off the phone with B&H and they told me that it will be another 4-6 weeks and most likely later than sooner before I will get an update on my order. They are not getting any information from BM when they will get shipments or the quantities thereof so they are unable to provide delivery updates. I am told to call back in 4 weeks to check for status.

I'm so frustrated and disappointed. Seems now that I won't be able to use the BMPCC for my shoot next week. Good thing I got my trusty GH3.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Michael Castro

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:51 pm

I as well ordered from B&H which I don't think I will be buying anything from again. On my order it stated 2-4 weeks. Which now sounds more like 6-8 weeks. I don't blame BM on this. I blame the reseller.. My purchase was with them and not BM. Don't post something for sale on your website and state you can deliver is such time when you don't have the stock on hand to do so. Now cry that you have no control over when you are getting the next shipment and try and point your finger at the manufacture. If my purchase would have been with BM I would have been upset with them. I had a wedding to shoot and ended up buying a canon for my second camera for it. So not only was I out on the cash on this order but I had to spend more on another camera to cover the shoot. At the moment I'm not happy with B&H..

Mahdi Gransberry

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Today is week 6 since I ordered the BMPCC from B&H. I just got off the phone with B&H and they told me that it will be another 4-6 weeks and most likely later than sooner before I will get an update on my order. They are not getting any information from BM when they will get shipments or the quantities thereof so they are unable to provide delivery updates. I am told to call back in 4 weeks to check for status.

I'm so frustrated and disappointed. Seems now that I won't be able to use the BMPCC for my shoot next week. Good thing I got my trusty GH3.

They told me 1-2 weeks.

Christian Schmitt

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Michael Castro wrote:I don't blame BM on this. I blame the reseller.. My purchase was with them and not BM. Don't post something for sale on your website and state you can deliver is such time when you don't have the stock on hand to do so. Now cry that you have no control over when you are getting the next shipment and try and point your finger at the manufacture. If my purchase would have been with BM I would have been upset with them.

Well, it's not like the retailers announced the sale and now BM has to deal with the "stress". If the manufacturer announces a sale, he should have his shelves fully stocked, to fill the resellers' orders.

This seems more like a variant of a Kickstarter campaign:
Basically all the preorders give BM a great estimate on how much to produce. Maybe they reached an end of a production cycle and they didn´t know if to produce 5000 more units or 10000 (or shelf the last 24 BMPCC Mark1 models left and focus on an updated model).
So while I certainly don´t complain about the price, I´m still sure BM isn´t loosing much (if at all) on the sale, since they now know exactly how much they will sell.
The free viral marketing campaign for their product already included.

My reseller told me, instead of getting 150 as they ordered right after the sale, BM shipped them 7. The sale period wasn't even over at that time...

nickmartin

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 pm

I've just received mine in Australia having ordered on the 18th of July. I only purchased based on my reseller advising me he had stock in his store, with additional units on the way. Obviously, this was not the case and I will never purchase ANYTHING from said reseller again based on this. Certainly in my case, I feel the blame lies with my reseller.

When I was collecting the BMPCC yesterday, the reseller did advise me that over 7000 units were sold in the first 48hrs of the sale in Australia alone, if anyone is interested (or believes the story!).

Robert Wiklund

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi,

Just got my BMPCC today. I ordered late July, or beginning of August. Haven't had a chance to test much, I've just unpacked it, put on a lens and made the latest firmware update. Looking forward to test filming!

Hope all you who have ordered get your cameras soon!

Cheers,

Edward Wong

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Hey guys,

I ordered my BMPCC through B&H on July 17. I'm seeing arrivals from a couple of you. Has any B&H customers received their order or any news regarding its status yet?

I'm greatly disappointed at both BH and BM for their speed. It's been over a month already.

Don Helms

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 pm

I ordered from B&H on July 23rd. It said delivery in 2-4 weeks

Here is the response I got from B&H on August 20th

Unfortunately we don't have an expected delivery date yet for your backorder as it is backordered by the manufacturer. As soon as we receive it in stock we will promptly ship it to you. Once the order has been shipped we will notify you via e-mail. I apologize for this delay and any inconvenience it has caused you.

Edward Wong

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 am

Don Helms wrote:I ordered from B&H on July 23rd. It said delivery in 2-4 weeks

Unfortunately we don't have an expected delivery date yet for your backorder as it is backordered by the manufacturer. As soon as we receive it in stock we will promptly ship it to you. Once the order has been shipped we will notify you via e-mail. I apologize for this delay and any inconvenience it has caused you.

I got a similar message too. They seem to have a preexisting template for all us B&H customers. I hate variables. :x

Michael Castro

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Same reply here from B&H.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Edward Wong wrote:
Don Helms wrote:I ordered from B&H on July 23rd. It said delivery in 2-4 weeks

I got a similar message too. They seem to have a preexisting template for all us B&H customers. I hate variables. :x

I just spoke with the B&H customer service rep and he gave me the same spill... BM has not given them a delivery date yet. I asked if they have been receiving shipments from BM and he said no they have not. Interestingly, talks have it that Adorama has been receiving units from BM and that Adorama customer who bought their cameras as late as July 30th have received theirs. Well, I ordered mine on the 27th and to date, I do not even have an info on when to expect it. Once more, the rep just told me to check back in a couple of weeks. That's very frustrating. :x In the future, I'm not sure if I want to deal with a business who is not on top of things with their suppliers.

Justin Battle

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 8:44 pm

So it sounds like BM are shipping them here and there in max quantities of 7 - 10 cameras per reseller based off of everyone's information provided. This is beyond frustrating that the resellers cannot give there customers any idea of when we will get our cameras. I've been patiently waiting but my patience is almost on E. I ordered from Newegg on the 22nd of July and they still do not have any information. I thought I take a different route from everybody else and not order from Adorama or B&H since I figured that's where the bulk of the sales were going to come from and I'd get my camera sooner than 6 weeks. Nope, still nothing.

Luckily they updated my order status on August 7th to 3 to 4 weeks meaning possibly (probably not) that I'll get a shipping confirmation by the end of next week. I won't hold my breath though.

samcameron

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 11:03 pm

I ordered mine in Adorama on the 5th of August and still nothing. I feel like I'm participating in some Kickstarter project, LOL.

Matt Wright

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 1:16 am

discount for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for the low price of US$495. With a normal recommended retail price of US$995, this Summer Special represents incredible value and is available for a limited time and will end on the 31st of August 2014. This Summer Special price is subject to limited availability, after which the price will return to the usual recommended retail price of US$995.

I guess I should have picked up on the shady "limited availability" statement in the press release. I focused on the date and figured I had some time. This whole thing was basically: "If the sale does well, we can stop it whenever we want." I can almost gurantee that is how it was sold internally.

I am certainly disappointed and am unlikely to buy anything from BM in the future. Just bad business. If you say a price is good for a limited time, make the price good for a limited time. Don't tack on some bogus limited availability disclaimer. Time to step up and honor your price.

Gordon Lee

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 5:30 am

I ordered from Australia through a Sydney reseller on 31 July 2014 and got a message a week ago guaranteed that I should receive the BMPCC around mid September. Seem everyone so far has a 6 week wait as some people just received it when their orders were on the first and second days of sale.

Given the update from the shop, I have ordered a Panny 14-42 PZ lens and couple of Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G as a start. What else should I get? Anyone have a good online site for genuine BM battery and charger?
Gordon Lee (Brisbane Australia)

BMPCC user

David Martin

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 4:53 pm

I dunno about Australia, but in the US, B&H is offering Blackmagic mini batteries at a very reasonable price. I ordered on Aug 5, when they were backordered. They arrived 20 days later.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Gordon Lee wrote: Anyone have a good online site for genuine BM battery and charger?

I don't believe there is a genuine BM battery charger. You could use the Nikon replacement charger that's about US$30 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-MH-27-Battery-Charger-repl/dp/B005OMOL4U/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1409340058&sr=8-9&keywords=nikon+el-en20+charger

Don Helms

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Well it seams b&h buyers are getting the same info.

Ie you will get it when we do

I am sure B&H is a major reseller of BM products. So I would think they would put pressure on BM to fulfill orders in a timely manner.

I have purchased over the years many thousands of dollars from B&H in various jobs. I will admit I am not thrilled with their stance on the BMPCC situation.

B&H start rattling their cage

On the other hand I fault BM for not having sufficient supply to meet demand. More importantly I fault BM for their lack of response to their distributors as well as the consumers who purchased the product

Bottom line I suggest the CEO review their marketing as well as their customer service

This is all simple business practices. BM sorry but now you fail

StephenToft

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi all, as I stated before I to was promised delivery in 2 days then a week then the week after the 100% by the end of August. Well now its been six weeks and still nothing.
The reseller is getting around 7 units a week but BM is tight lipped about all deliveries. So far I have missed 2 opportunities to use the non existent camera. I can't believe BM has said nothing and cares so little about it existing and new customer base.

rodjohnson

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 11:04 pm

I ordered mine from B and H on the 20th of July and am still receiving the backorder email (as of 29th August NZT). I tried contacting BM support to ask what the deal was but have had no helpful answer. :(

Seems like a poor stratagem to me. Invite thousands of new users and then annoy them straight away.

Scott Waby

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 3:53 pm

I feel lucky compared to some of you guys.

However, to balance out some of bad experiences here, I should probably name and praise my UK BM supplier. When I placed my order with Jigsaw24 in the UK, they told me it would be the last week in August - which is exactly when it arrived. Waiting 4 weeks was frustrating, but hearing about some of you waiting 6 weeks or more with no news makes 4 weeks sound like a breeze.

I think the popularity of this offer caught Black Magic by surprise - I suspect they'll learn a lot from this.

It's a great little camera though - well worth the wait.

David Martin

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Email this morning from B&H:

"You placed [an] order. . . on 07/22/14.

One or more items from this purchase are still out of stock as we haven't
yet received the merchandise from our supplier. We are sorry for any
inconvenience this may have caused. We will keep you posted periodically.

We appreciate your patience and patronage. Feel free to contact us with any
questions or comments about this order. . .

If you no longer wish to receive this email (but are still interested in
waiting for the item) please reply to this email with the word REMOVE in the
title."

Michael Castro

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 11:41 pm

I received the same e-mail this morning from B&H.

Gerald Menclik

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Gerald Menclik wrote:Last info from reseller in Germany: week 30 or 31 .... phoned today ... result: they have no clue when they will get their orders (no Info from BM)

now it is week36 and there is still no info, nor delivery from BM :evil:
Gerald "Nigel" Menclik
www.menclik.at
info@menclik.at

Dennis Wiener

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 pm

I ordered from adorama on 7/25 and received a similar email about 2 weeks ago. The camera was delivered last Friday 8/29. They still show out of stock on their website.

Justin Battle

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Gerald Menclik wrote:now it is week36 and there is still no info, nor delivery from BM :evil:

Something should have been said by now from Blackmagic. This really sucks! I have a client ready for an engagement project and they keep asking me when will I be able to commit. I have no answer for them because my reseller has no answer for me who has no answer from Blackmagic.

Someone from Blackmagic need to say SOMETHING about this. Anything.

Edward Wong

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Justin Battle wrote:
Gerald Menclik wrote:now it is week36 and there is still no info, nor delivery from BM :evil:

Something should have been said by now from Blackmagic. This really sucks! I have a client ready for an engagement project and they keep asking me when will I be able to commit. I have no answer for them because my reseller has no answer for me who has no answer from Blackmagic.

Someone from Blackmagic need to say SOMETHING about this. Anything.

Totally agreed, Justin. BM need to inform the amount of cameras that is going to be shipped to resellers every week. There's a huge line up and most of us want to know where we're at currently.

rodjohnson

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 3:54 am

I ordered mine July 20th from B and H and it has just been sent today (about an hour ago as I post this) to the warehouse for dispatch... things are moving albeit very slowly...

Adam Simmons

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 am

They already have.
Tony Rivera wrote:The supply issue was addressed in another thread I replied to in the Cinematography section of our forums. Basically what was said is that we're sending them out to our distributor as quickly as we get them in.
this post is further up the page
Last edited by Adam Simmons on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Justin Battle

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 7:19 am

Whoops...guess I missed that. Thanks!

Gerald Menclik

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 am

Adam Simmons wrote:They already have.
Tony Rivera wrote:The supply issue was addressed in another thread I replied to in the Cinematography section of our forums. Basically what was said is that we're sending them out to our distributor as quickly as we get them in.

this post is further up the page

there is a problem -> the posted link doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gerald "Nigel" Menclik
www.menclik.at
info@menclik.at

Adam Simmons

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 pm

I didn't post a link, I pointed out that there was a post further up the page. If you are referring to the DVC.UK.COM link that's in my signature and I don't think website links in signatures are live
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Don Helms

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 3:34 pm

David Martin wrote:Email this morning from B&H:

title."

I ordered on the 23rd and got the same email this morning. Not very encouraging. Once again BM needs to do something as this is going to severely damage their reputation with a lot of people. Just provide a realistic date would be a start.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 4:56 pm

David Martin wrote:Email this morning from B&H:

title."

I spoke with the B&H customer service this morning. Again, they have not heard much from BM other than they are getting trickles of units and shipping them out. They have a huge back order so I am told if you ordered your BMPCC on or after July 20, expect it to be shipping by late Sept and November time frame. :( sigh....

Edward Wong

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Here's an update from myself:

So I ordered on July 19th from Canada via BH and I was notified that my order was shipped out this morning. So all you July 20-31 people should receive your shipping notification no later than the end of September. BH strictly runs on "first order first receive" orders, so don't worry about people cutting in line.

Good luck to all :)

Gerald Menclik

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Adam Simmons wrote:I didn't post a link, I pointed out that there was a post further up the page. If you are referring to the DVC.UK.COM link that's in my signature and I don't think website links in signatures are live

I ment that Tonys link doesn't work
Gerald "Nigel" Menclik
www.menclik.at
info@menclik.at

Adam Simmons

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Tony didn't post a link in his last post, his are also in his signature

Gerald Menclik

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 am

Tony Rivera wrote:The is addressed on the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25340&view=unread#unread

Sorry Adam, but he did .... and the link says: thetopic doesn't exist! ....
Gerald "Nigel" Menclik
www.menclik.at
info@menclik.at

Adam Simmons

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 am

That post is on the first page, if you read what I posted I said further up the page and even quoted the post I was referring to which didn't contain a link, and in my last post I even said 'his last post'

Ed Da Silva

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 1:57 pm

This is terrible BM really need to address this clearly and let people know what's going on and give rough time frames for when they can expect to receive a camera. The BM PR is consistently terrible. Lots of repeatedly, and justifiably, disgruntled customers here, on twitter, on FB, etc just adding to and fanning the flames of the negative PR that is generated by the failure to be upfront about what is happening...If they were just told what was going on and given dates it would most likely cause them to quieten down some.

Keith Neill

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Has anyone received a bmpcc from the special offer in the UK ? I ordered mine on the 20/7 from RCB Logic but they still seem to be awaiting stock. I realised that I may have to wait some time prior to ordering as the stock levels of this camera at full price were low at all UK suppliers before the offer was announced.

Are there any indications when the UK is going to get deliveries ?

James Falsken

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 7:35 am

I am at the end of week 5, still waiting for my BMPCC or some news from B&H. So far No word at all, no follow ups or updates from B&H, not even a simple e-mail. I am guessing, no news is good news policy is in full force, for all orders for the BMPCC. Treat everyone like sh-- and keep them totally in the dark. Really doesn't sit well with customers, who purchased other accessories, that have their warranties running already. I have lenses about to lose return Policy ability. I cannot test to see if they work or not, or if they are even free of any defects. I wouldn't mind so much if, I was given updates instead of me having to request information and not getting anything, but still back-ordered. Blackmagic keeping silent isn't helping anyone including retailers. When is a sale not a sale? When it's for Blackmagic Products. At this rate, I might see my ordered camera somewhere next year around August 2015. At the time of purchase, it was listed as having a fill date of 4-6 weeks. Boy, was I sold a story.

Update from B&H: Hello James, my name is Edd C:

I'm sorry to hear about any inconvenience this delay may be causing - you are correct that we originally expected to be receiving these earlier and this is why we had listed on the site that we expect this in 4-6 weeks. However the manufacturer has informed us that this is now further delayed and they have not yet given us a clear indication of when future orders will be filled.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Edd C
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
The Professional's Source.
E-Mail Customer Service Department
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

So Blackmagic is staying silent and there is a very limited number of cameras available, clearly not enough to fill orders. Keeping everyone including Retailers in the dark isn't the best way to stem the tide of disgruntle Customers and Retailers.
As far as buying Accessories goes, if the promised shipping dates were in fact true, there wouldn't be an issue with Warranties or being unable to check for defects. I cannot get a date as to when my order will be filled and shipped, all because Blackmagic is failing to keep Retailers up to date. Pretty crazy sitting here with a BMPCC Battery and no camera to use it with. But that is what happens when your sold a story instead of a real product.
Last edited by James Falsken on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Simmons

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 7:57 am

If people purchased other accessories then they really should have waited until the camera actually shipped, or they could send back the items for their refund and re-order them when the camera ships.

BM are not keeping silent, they've already said they are shipping them out as fast as they get made. Not sure what else you expect them to add to that statement

Vitaly Gladkiy

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 10:16 am

I ordered from B&H on July 21. Today (September 5) I received. ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started