forum matters

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Alex Gerulaitis

forum matters

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 am

Hi all,

(Thanks BMD for creating this forum)

A few quick questions:
- no RTF editor, correct?
- no threaded view of a topic? (E.g. other than by context or quotes, you can't tell who is replying to what?)
- Any way to get notified if someone replied to your post, not just to the whole topic? Seems like right now I can only get notifications of new posts in the topic, and these notifications don't tell me anything about these new posts. I.e. to find out if someone replied to my question, I have to head to the forum and look through all the new posts. It's easy to miss a reply if that's the only way to handle it.
- is there a way to set up my preferences so that I get the text (partial OK) of the new posts, rather than just, "there is a new post"?
Alex Gerulaitis | System Administrator | DMED

Alex Gerulaitis

Re: forum matters

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 5:21 am

Another question: the fact that "quick-mod tools" are available to me after I create a new topic ("change to announcement", "... to sticky", etc.?) - is that intended?

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 5:30 am

There us a "Subscribe Topic" icon at the top of each "topic". It's one of the icons on the above right of the topic.

EDIT:
Seems like I missed the point of your post... sorry. You were asking if there was a way to just get notified for replies to your post (rather than just any for the post).

We don't seem to have a way to actually post replies to an individual post as the "Post Reply" is only at the bottom of the topic. The "Quote" option would seem like we are selecting a post to "reply to" but that may not in fact be the way they have coded it. The whole forum doesn't appear to be configured as a "thread aware" thing.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

admin

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 5:06 am

Alex G. wrote:Hi all,

(Thanks BMD for creating this forum)

A few quick questions:
- no RTF editor, correct?
- no threaded view of a topic? (E.g. other than by context or quotes, you can't tell who is replying to what?)
- Any way to get notified if someone replied to your post, not just to the whole topic? Seems like right now I can only get notifications of new posts in the topic, and these notifications don't tell me anything about these new posts. I.e. to find out if someone replied to my question, I have to head to the forum and look through all the new posts. It's easy to miss a reply if that's the only way to handle it.
- is there a way to set up my preferences so that I get the text (partial OK) of the new posts, rather than just, "there is a new post"?

Hi Alex G.

Thanks for your post and for bringing to our attention the fact that users could make "Sticky" posts, etc. This was not intended and is now no longer an option available to normal forum members.

Regarding your other queries:

• There is no Rich Text editor available,
  • The forum software does not allow for a "threaded" view but quoting is a simple way of showing context when replying,
  • There are two options regarding notification on reply - the first is to make this the default for yourself by selecting the Board Preferences tab in your User Control Panel and then setting Notify me upon replies by default to Yes. If you wish to only be notified for specific posts, leave this as No and instead mark the check box in the Options tab beneath the editor textbox labelled Notify me when a reply is posted. You can do this on any post you make and require reply notification on. I don't believe the text of the reply is included, however we are looking into the possibilities.

Regards.

Alex Gerulaitis

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 5:27 am

admin wrote:
  • There are two options regarding notification on reply - the first is to make this the default for yourself by selecting the Board Preferences tab in your User Control Panel and then setting Notify me upon replies by default to Yes. If you wish to only be notified for specific posts, leave this as No and instead mark the check box in the Options tab beneath the editor textbox labelled Notify me when a reply is posted. You can do this on any post you make and require reply notification on.

Thank you.

Would be great to make it a bit more transparent and easy-to-understand. E.g. have both of these options right there in the control panel's board preferences:
- automatically notify me if someone responds to a post I make (yes/no)
- automatically notify me of any new post in the topic I participate in (i.e. subscribe to this topic) (yes/no)

(the 2nd one is already there - included that for readability and demonstrate that they don't really conflict.)

Including the text replies and posts with email notifications would go a long way for usability of this forum. Right now I can't think of a single User Group platform that doesn't allow that (Cow, Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, vB, etc. - all have that).

An RTF editor... eh, don't really need it all that much.

Thanks again.

Return to Getting Started