Analog to SDI / HDMI to SDI - which one?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

DFree

Analog to SDI / HDMI to SDI - which one?

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Greetings!

Trying to find an inexpensive solution for HD Cameras for use with my Datavideo SE-2000 Digital Video Switcher and it looks like the Canon VIXIA HV40 Camcorder will work for me.

The HV40 has a component video out (red, green, blue) and an AV out (yellow).

My question is which Blackmagic mini converter will be better to use - the Analog to SDI or the HDMI to SDI?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

Grizzly

Re: Analog to SDI / HDMI to SDI - which one?

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Well, assuming the HV40 offers HD on its component output (a quick browse of the product website couldn't confirm this), I don't think there's much in it.

As the SE-2000 does not de-embed audio from the HD-SDI inputs, you'd have to feed separate analogue audio to it regardless of which Mini Converter you used (if indeed you are handling audio at all).

Would you need a mini converter at all?
The SE-2000 has two DVI-D inputs, so why not just buy an HDMI to DVI adaptor lead, and use those?

DFree

Re: Analog to SDI / HDMI to SDI - which one?

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks Grizzly!

1) I found this at Canon USA's website, so it leads me to believe that HD is output on all of its outputs (analog, component, dv)
[http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/high_definition_camcorders/vixia_hv40?CMD=MIXED_SEARCH&mName=VIXIA+HV40&mType=VIXIA&pageKeyCode=ekbresults&searchString=HD+on+its+component+output+&BASIC_SEARCH_CURRENT_TOPIC_ID=1578&BASIC_SEARCH_CURRENT_TOPIC_TYPE=0&RESULTS=RELEVANCE&RELEVANCE_START=1&RELEVANCE_COUNT=10&CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null&USERTYPE=1&isSecure=false]

2) I will not be using the audio from the HV40.

3) One of the DVI-D inputs can only be used as an overlay - a/k/a PowerPoint used as a character generator. I was sort of hoping to use the other DVI-D input for a non HD camera.

Return to Getting Started