Studio Setup

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Iranian TV

Studio Setup

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 am

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well. I wanted to first thank you for this wonderful resource. I am very new to the community and would appreciate all of the help I can get.

I need some help regarding the setup for a TV station that I'm starting. I think that my questions are pretty general and thank you for any help.

This station is going to be broadcast on Hotbird Satellite and on Galaxy 19.

How does this setup sound???
Cameras: 3 JVC ProHD GY-HM600U in Main Studio + 2 Alternative Studios

I want to connect these cameras + the others to an ATEM 2 M/E broadcast switcher. I will connect each output to a CasparCG computer for CG. There will also be a 2nd ATEM in case programming differs for Galaxy and Hotbird. Then, both Caspars will be set out to a single Harmonic ELC-8100 encoder.

I have never used CasparCG, but it seems highly recommended. Have I understood it all correctly?

My problems:
Is ATEM sufficient for chroma keying?

Is ATEM + Photoshop sufficient for CG? Or do I need the Caspar solution above? Would we be able to use animated logos/subtitles?

How could we delay A/V so that we could bleep out any profanity? Specifically, what equipment is recommended?

How could we keep A/V in sync?

There are 12 hours of live programming per day and 12 hours of reruns. Can I use 2 HyperDecks (One for Galaxy and one for Hotbird) to record and rerun everything everyday?

Also, to play videos such as music videos, I want to have a pc with a video output card to connect to the ATEM, and another with either Adobe Premiere Pro/Avid Media Composer/Final Cut Pro to play ads?

Which software should I use? What cards should I get? I have gotten the recommendation to quit using NLEs for AD playback and use CasparCG instead. That seems very weird to me. What should I use for music video playback? They will be a mix of mp4, avi, and mov files on a hard drive.

What is Genlock and is it important?

MY FINAL QUESTION:
Do you consider the above ATEM configuration appropriate for my use? Our competitors use Globecasters or VT5, but I thought ATEM would allow me to get a much better quality, though it seems to have so much less built in.

I would appreciate all of your guidance.
Am I asking too many detailed questions? If there is anyone that I can hire to help with the setup, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thank You.

Return to Getting Started