Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt not working

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Andrew Glennie

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt not working

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi All,

I have just installed my new Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) to my MacBook Pro (Late 2012 - not Retina - Mountain Lion), downloaded the latest drivers from the website and nothing happens. video or audio input or shown in Media Express. Moved the cables from Composite to Component and changed the Preferences to the appropriate setting to match the cable connection.

Media Express continues to say there is No Remote. I note other posts having similar problems with Mountain Lion.

Any suggestions?

Andrew

wingman011

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt not working

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 am

Same here. Tried on Mac Mini 2012 (late 2012) Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Also tried on MacBook Pro (late 2012) Mountain Lion 10.8.2 both brand new machines. Downloaded and installed latest software, no work. Black screen on Media Express.

rbalsmeyer

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 2:18 am

Same here. Just an occasional 1 frame flicker on my HD monitor. Neither FCP7 nor BM Media Express nor BM system preferences recognize the existence of the device. This appears to be a very expensive brick. Not to mention the required $49 thunderbolt cable that is necessary, but doesn't come with it.

I have a BM card in my MacPro that works great, so I thought this was my answer, but obviously not. Is the shuttle NG with Mountain Lion? Help anyone? :x

Andrew Glennie

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 7:14 am

I have got mine working with some assistance from my supplier. In my case it was the settings for the type of signal. And while there was logic in one setting - I was using PAL Progressive when I should have stuck with PAL. In the other instance, there was a surprise. A Canon XA10 Camera with the input on HDMI, the setting had to be 1080i 50. I had anticipated 1080p 25.

So my recommendation is play with the settings. and if you have another programme e.g. FCP X, use it. I use Premiere Pro and discovered that while Media Express wouldn't cope with PAL Progressive, Premiere Pro does.

x-li-x

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 10:27 am

Hi, I have the same problem.
I use a Mac Book Pro 15" with OS X 10.8.2, the Canon XA10 and a Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbold. All are new, out of the box and I receive only a black signal and the message: No Remote.

I tried it with WireCast, Final Cut Pro X and Blackmagic Express, all are receiving a black signal from the camera.

The Canon XA10 sends HDMI 1920x1080p. The HDMI 1080p output is on.
I tried different settings, 1080i 50 and 1080p 25 as well as 1080p 24, nothing changed.

The Disk Speed Test says that it can write and read in 10 Bit YUV 4:2:2 on 750p50 / 1080p23.98 and 1080p24. I tried all settings, nothing changed.

What do I have to change that it works properly?
Thanks for your help!

Andrew Glennie

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Are you working in PAL or NTSC? The settings which worked for me were PAL. Otherwise your settings should be working based on my experience. Have you updated the Blackmagic software to the latest version?

x-li-x

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi, yes I work with PAL and I downloaded the latest available version of the blackmagic software.
It still doesn't work. Do you have any other idea?

Andrew Glennie

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 1:03 am

Sorry no. Be doubly sure you have all the right settings. There are too many in my opinion making it easy for newbies to get it wrong.

Andrew Glennie

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:25 pm

One other thing that might help - I noticed that doing lots of changes while keeping the Control Panel open can mean that it gets confused with which one to use. Recommend closing it each time a change has been finalised.

Return to Getting Started