HDMI to SDI problem

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

marsound

HDMI to SDI problem

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Here's my setup:

PC (output resolution 1280x800) ---> Kramer VP-729 switcher scaler (connected to VGA input, output resolution the same as PC) ---> Atlona AT-HD550 up/down converter/scaler (HDMI in/out, output resolution 1080p) ---> HDMI-SDI mini converter (processor off) ---> Decklink Duo

Getting no signal - black screen. Thoughts? HDCP issue?

Thanks in advance.

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

Re: HDMI to SDI problem

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Hello,

It looks like you have a fair amount of conversions there in that workflow. For a sanity check, you may want to test the HDMI to SDI Mini Converter as well as the DeckLink Duo on its own, just to validate that each BMD device is working on its own.

If possible, test a SDI source (signal generator, camera, deck, etc.) directly to the DeckLink, just to make sure that this is not a DeckLink issue.

Also see if you have access to a camera with HDMI out you can test with, directly to the HDMI to SDI MC just to verify that the converter is working.

You can then backtrack and add more hardware into the equation until you find out where the breakdown is happening.

Should you find that the issue is with the converter or DeckLink, please give us a call or email us from our support page and we can get you set up with an RMA.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Esa Kranz

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

And certainly not HDCP issue since VGA connection does not support HDCP!
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Esa Kranz wrote:And certainly not HDCP issue since VGA connection does not support HDCP!

True, but multiple conversions like that tend to make the signals borderline illegal and can cause it's own havok.

I would definitely simplify backwards until the problem is located.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

aleks_c

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 2:49 am

Hi @marsound, were you able to solve your signal problem? Reason I ask is because I'm looking at setting up the same config as you did. But the primary objective is to output the Powerpoint presentation from a laptop which has VGA to SDI (to one of the ATEM 2 M/E's SDI inputs). Would appreciate if you could tell me how you were able to go around your problem. Thanks.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 pm

What has worked for me in the past (and hopefully will work again as soon as 3.4 is released - with 60Hz support re-introduced) is the Atlona VGA->HDMI scaler -> BMD HDMI -> SDI converter. Not sure about that Kramer thing... and what that does. You could always place simpler splitter at the laptop end and bypass that thing completely.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started