Capturing from ATEM Television Studio

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Rob Badman

Capturing from ATEM Television Studio

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 am

Hi,
I work for my church in Australia, where we have two Canon XA10 cameras hooked up via HDMI to an ATEM Television studio unit. The cameras work fine and I can get picture from both on the production switcher program, but now I need to capture the video. Can I do this using some sort of software (whether free or paid), or do I need to buy a separate capture device?

Thanks!!!!!!

Liam Kennedy

Re: Capturing from ATEM Television Studio

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 4:44 am

The ATEM TVS has a built-in hardware H.264 encoder that allows you to capture the program out via the USB port on the TVS.

Just connect a USB cable between your PC or Mac and either launch the Media Express program - or from the Capture Tab of the ATEM Software Control.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Rob Badman

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 am

Ok I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Hessel Baartse

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 3:05 am

If you don't want to tie up a pc or laptop just to do the recording you can do what we do at our church in Adelaide and that is to use an AVerMedia C875 Live Gamer Portable. It is low cost (About $160 AUD) and can be set to a stand alone mode. In the standalone mode there are a couple of resolution options that are set using a pc.

It records TS files on an SD card. Just connect it to the HDMI output of the TVS.
Hessel Baartse

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 am

kaaskop wrote:If you don't want to tie up a pc or laptop just to do the recording

Actually this can be done on the laptop/desktop/mac that is also being used to control the TVS. So... you are not actually tieing up anything. But that little gizmo you mentioned does look pretty neat
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started