Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 & HDMI Audio Tracks

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
tilllt

Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 & HDMI Audio Tracks

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi,

i got a hyperdeck shuttle 2 last week and so far i am quite happy with it. The only point which is quite annoying is the default recording of 16 Audio Tracks through HDMI. Obviously my Camera just outputs 2 of them, so i have 14 empty audio tracks. Aside from the fact, that this eats up disk space, it makes handling the files in FCP kind of complicated. If i want to sync external sound, i have to add it as track 17 & 18. Then i have to delete 14 Audio tracks to get the 4 Track internal / external merged file that i want to have. Wouldnt it be possible to select the number of Tracks recorded through the USB Control Gui of the Hyperdeck Shuttle? It would really save me a lot of work.

thanks,
t.

SHCTV15

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 & HDMI Audio Tracks

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 am

I absolutely agree with this entire post, and second the hope that a software solution could be developed.

tilllt

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm

or, for the time being ... is there a tool (a more comfortable "tool" than quicktime 7) which can strip audia channels from a quicktime?

thomas bruegger

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 pm

im testing the hyperdeck at the moment and was searching how to deactivate the 14 channels that i never will use. Reading this post it seems there isnt :( its kind of insane to have 14 24bit pcm tracks for nothing. I dont mind much about the 16 channels but the space they take on the ssd. I hope BM can adress this and put a dropdown menu in "Hyperdeck Utility" to select desired audio-channels.

Thomas
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Kuhnen

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Keeping in mind that BlackMagic Design makes equipment for broadcast, the 16 channel, 24-bit audio protocol is the broadcast standard. There are more broadcast users who prefer having 16 channels than those of us who deliver 2-channel audio to the web. I hope future upgrades to the HyperDeck Utility give us audio setting options. As an aside, most NLE's conform 24-bit depth to 16-bit when a timeline is rendered out to codecs for web delivery. Again, in the BlackMagic Design world, broadcast rules.
Kuhnen

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 pm

thomas bruegger wrote:im testing the hyperdeck at the moment and was searching how to deactivate the 14 channels that i never will use. Reading this post it seems there isnt :( its kind of insane to have 14 24bit pcm tracks for nothing. I dont mind much about the 16 channels but the space they take on the ssd. I hope BM can adress this and put a dropdown menu in "Hyperdeck Utility" to select desired audio-channels.

Are you sure the extra channels take up ANY extra space? I don't believe they do.

I record Prores on my Hyperdeck Studio - at a bit rate of 220Mb/s. The files are the expected size.. and not made any larger because of the additional (and for me - wasted) audio tracks.

It is a pain to delete the extra tracks when I import them in to my editor (Sony Vegas) - but not all that big a deal.

I too would appreciate a way to just capture two tracks of audio - just for the convenience.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Mike Squires

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 pm

In Premiere Pro, it only takes like three mouse clicks to delete all empty audio tracks. Right-click on the timeline, click on delete tracks, click on empty audio tracks.

RRRoger Martin

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am

I am using CyberLInk PowerDirector 11 and am having noe problems with Audio.
I do not have to delete any tracks.

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 am

RRRoger wrote:I am using CyberLInk PowerDirector 11 and am having noe problems with Audio.
I do not have to delete any tracks.

Well... I for one am not having problems.. it's just the extra audio tracks are a waste of time.

I suspect your software likely doesn't support the additional tracks... so it just ignores them. Which is pretty neat. Congratulations. That's the benefit of a $50 piece of software I guess.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

RRRoger Martin

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 5:49 am

Liam Kennedy wrote:That's the benefit of a $50 piece of software I guess.

PowerDirector may not have near the functions of AVID or Adobe Premier (which I have) but it does everything I need a whole lot faster.
That is the advantage of not using bloatware.

Mike Squires

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 pm

I wouldn't consider Avid nor Premiere Pro bloatware, not even close. They are professional NLEs.

Back on topic, I don't see what the big deal is with the extra empty audio tracks, they aren't making the file sizes any larger.

thomas bruegger

PostThu May 02, 2013 7:57 am

Mike Squires wrote:In Premiere Pro, it only takes like three mouse clicks to delete all empty audio tracks. Right-click on the timeline, click on delete tracks, click on empty audio tracks.

there is another way in premiere, with that you can modify multiple clips at once:
import the clips and select all in the bin window / right click - modify - audio channels /
set either to 2 mono or 1 stereo - save - done.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Mike Squires

PostFri May 03, 2013 12:37 am

thomas bruegger wrote:
Mike Squires wrote:In Premiere Pro, it only takes like three mouse clicks to delete all empty audio tracks. Right-click on the timeline, click on delete tracks, click on empty audio tracks.

there is another way in premiere, with that you can modify multiple clips at once:
import the clips and select all in the bin window / right click - modify - audio channels /
set either to 2 mono or 1 stereo - save - done.

Well, that's how to do it in CS5.5. In CS6, you have to first select how many channels, and then select left/right for whatever you need.

For me, it's just easier to lock the audio you want, and delete the other tracks. Couple of mouse clicks. But, everyone does it differently. (Though, I round-trip my audio to Audition, and mess with it there).

Return to Getting Started