URSA - Where/approved Cfast 2.0 cards? And this card...

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Todd White

URSA - Where/approved Cfast 2.0 cards? And this card...

PostSun Nov 09, 2014 4:33 pm

I keep hearing about an approved list of cfast 2.0 cards for the URSA but I can't seem to find documentation on it.

As many know, cfast 2.0 cards are in short supply right now. I simply can't find any available online--Amazon, B&H and Adorama don't have any in stock. I have a shoot coming up on the 22nd of this month and I'm hoping to use my new URSA for it but if I can't find a card then I'll have to use my BMCC (I know... boohoo)

Anyway, I'm specifically wondering if this card below would work. It seems to be the only card I can find anywhere online that's in stock but I don't want to purchase it if it's a piece of junk or doesn't work at all. The price disparity between this 128gb and a sandisk or lexar is pretty huge, so I'm feeling this one is probably a pass but I want to make sure...
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/gol ... 58190.html

Todd White

Re: URSA - Where/approved Cfast 2.0 cards? And this card...

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 2:06 am

Patrick Acum

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi,
If you're interested in cheaper cards, I bought a supertalent cfast pro 64gb card for about $70. It works fine in 1080 up to prores 422 but will only do 4k prores proxy. The write speed on that is 50MB/s, so 400mbps.
4k prores hq I think is something like 880mbps. Ive recently ordered a delock 64gb card to test this too. It claims write speeds of 150MB/s so about 1100mbps, it was £119, so fingers crossed it will do at least 4k 422, which with the other cards would probably do me for the time being, I cant handle RAW!!

Todd White

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 am

Thanks for the information Patrick Acum. Do regular Cfast 1.0 cards work with the URSA but they just don't do 4k? That's okay. I just need some alternatives for my shoot until I can get the 2.0 cards. 1080p is absolutely fine.

BTW... just got my URSA via UPS today... my goodness this thing is a beast in more ones than one. Heh. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 2:23 am

Hi Todd,

You can find information on the recommended CFast 2.0 cards on the BMD Support page, under Professional Cameras. Please find attached the link for your reference. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59008

If you wish to use other CFast cards, do take note it must have a write speed fast enough to handle UHD 4K or HD video capture.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Todd White

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks Darrell. These cards (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... cfast.html) say they record up to 4k but they write at about half the speed as their 128gb counterpart. Do you think that will constitute any 4k recording issues?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 14, 2014 2:23 am

Hi Todd,

I can't be sure to be honest, theoretically it might, seeing that 4K ProRes HQ capture requires a data rate of 943Mb/s and the card seems to be able to write a max of 1920Mb/s, you could try if you want, but I am not sure if there will be drop frames or any other issues.

I do strongly advise you use the recommended cards as these had been verified by our team to be most suitable for 4K capture.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Patrick Acum

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi,
Just to update you, I ordered three of the super talent 128gb cards. As the new firmware allows for in camera formatting, I tried all the cards I've bought so far. The super talent 128gb cards seem to work fine in all 1080 prores variations and will shoot the new 80fps without problem. They will also run for about 10 minutes in the new 4k RAW 3:1 and will do 4k prores HQ, 422, LT fine. These cards are about $110 each! But they won't do full 4k RAW or 80fps in 4k. The 64gb card seems a bit slower and won't format in camera so Ive ignored this one. The delock card didn't work on any setting.
I ordered another 128gb card and weirdly the interface was the wrong way round so it wouldn't fit and has been refunded. Ill order some more in the new year but its worth checking they're the right way round first - with the label on the right, looking at the interface, the small section of pins should be at the top, the longer section at the bottom.

Return to Getting Started