Wich Camera? Blackmagic pocket or Cinema?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Edgar Stoel

Wich Camera? Blackmagic pocket or Cinema?

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi,

I want to buy a Blackmagic camera but i can't decide wich one.

I make short movies with a lot of action and visual effect.
Similar to Freddiew and corridordigitale on youtube.

I hope someone can give me some advice on wich camera is the best to use.

Blackmagic pocket or Blackmagic cinema 2.5K??

:)

Denny Smith

Re: Wich Camera? Blackmagic pocket or Cinema?

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 3:14 am

I would suggest the Pocket camera to start. Lots of lens options to choose from, including classic Super 16 lenses. In the days,of film, students started out with 16mm or S16, BMPCC is a S16 format.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mac Jaeger

Re: Wich Camera? Blackmagic pocket or Cinema?

PostSun Dec 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Edgar Stoel wrote:wich camera is the best to use.

Sorry, no pun intended, but the question in itself is wrong. There is no such thing as a single one best camera. You first need to decide what you want to do, then look for the right tool to achieve your goal. The blackmagic cameras are very different, but who's to say if you need the portability of the pocket cam? The added resolution of the cinema camera? The global shutter of the 4k production camera? No one knows the budget you are willing to spend. Or the lenses you already have. If you want to rig the system? Et. Cetera.

If you don't know which blackmagic camera is right for you, chances are that none of them are. They are called "cinema camera" for a reason, and this implies that you need a decent amount of hardware and knowledge to get the stunning visuals you might have seen in demo videos around the web, and especially in this forum.

Return to Getting Started