Trouble Using Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

MelissaK

Trouble Using Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Hello Everyone! I am new to the Black magic design products and was hoping for a little help.

We are looking to use our camera (Panasonic AG-HMC440P) to live stream training sessions with Fuze (https://www.fuzebox.com/) with the help of the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt.

For some reason it recognizes the camera and allows us to pick it as an option, but does not display the image. We have tried with a couple small consumer cameras and it just won't work.

I have the software downloaded and have the proper boxes checked for the different inputs (I have tried both HDMI and component cables). I have also played with the output setting on the camera, as well as the resolution settings in the Fuze program.

So far I have been lucky enough to get a blue screen when I use the component cable....but thats as close as it gets.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advanced!

gregrow

Re: Trouble Using Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 8:42 pm

a few suggestions:

start by connecting the camera to the shuttle and then the computer and then using the BM Media Express software set to 'capture' the camera. Do this to confirm that you've got the camera and so forth setup properly. Once that's sorted, go forward with your Fuze setup.

You might also want to check that the Thunderbolt cable is doing it's thing. Go to the system profiler and dig down to the Thunderbolt section. when you've got the shuttle plugged in and working, you should see it in this section. A while ago, I had a cable that didn't work well and so I exchanged it at the Apple store.

I've also had successes with re-reading the manual that BM provides, starting at the top. One of the reason (i suspect) they seem so thin is that they don't repeat much, like a lot of manuals do. So, some useful tidbit might be tucked in to the 2nd page and you started reading at the 5th page, since that's where the details got interesting, so to speak.

Finally, a couple of other members of the Intensity family run pretty hot and I've had situations where helping them stay cool can mean the difference between working and not. I've got an Extreme that I joke about it's usefulness in keeping my coffee warm.

and along those lines, letting things cool down and then trying again as also resulted in happiness.

MelissaK

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks for the reply! Your suggestions were very helpful!
Unfortunately I still can't get this camera to work (or any of the three I have tried)

I can see the Intensity Shuttle is plugged in when I go into the system profilier under the Thunderbolt.
"Intensity Shuttle" is also recognizable in the BM Media Express as well as Fuze.
Although both products let me choose it as an option, neither application allows me to see what the camera is seeing.
I have connected both through HDMI and the component cable, but neither are working.

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks!
Melissa

MelissaK

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Update: I did get it to work in Final Cut Pro 7. When I hit log and capture, the live video does show up. I still can't get video to show up for BM Media Express or Fuze, though it does recognize the shuttle as being plugged in.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 am

What is the settings that you have set in Media Express? Does it match with your camera? Via what kind of connection and how long is the length of the cable? Try doing a test capture with Media Express to see if it's able to do a proper capture. If you are not able to do so, do flag it up with your local BMD support to see if they could help you out.

I'm not familiar with Fuze, so I reckon you might want to ask them if Fuze is compatible for use with the Intensity Shuttle. We do politely state that Blackmagic products don't support live streaming, it's more of immediate upload for streaming after the recording ends. However by now you would have found out on this forum that there are solutions to that issue.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 3:07 am

Darrell Sim wrote:We do politely state that Blackmagic products don't support live streaming, it's more of immediate upload for streaming after the recording ends.

Umm.. where on earth do you "politely state" that (reference/link)? First I have ever heard that Black Magic products do not support live streaming (I know you don't provide software to do that... but there are lots of solutions to this).

Could you clarify what you mean by that exactly? Very confused by this statement.

I am using my Intensity Pro and ATEM 1/ME via USB3 to livestream with FMLE and Wirecast.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 am

I do apologise if you have been confused by my comment. What I actually meant is that currently we don't have any application on our own which supports live streaming which was like what you had earlier mentioned. There are companies that had used our free SDK to develop in conjunction with their programs, which explains why they are able to be used with BMD devices. If you do have any questions with our products, don't hesitate to refer back to our support staff.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

clbgld

PostSat Dec 15, 2012 2:14 pm

FWIW, we have been using our Multibridge Eclipse for a while to stream HD webcasts via Microsoft's Expression encoder and it has worked very well for us. If the Shuttle is recognized as an input video device just like the Eclipse is, I would think it should work just as well.

C

Return to Getting Started