Windows 7 x64 capture in quicktime .mp4

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

GetReal

Windows 7 x64 capture in quicktime .mp4

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

Hi,

I've got Windows 7 x64 and want to capture my gameplay in the quicktime .mp4 format.

The only options I've got in BM Control panel is AVI 8bit and AVI motion jpeg.
Both of these options creates huge files that are not suitable for longer gaming sessions.

Is it possible to have a Windows based computer capturing in the mp4 format?

Dennis Sädtler

Re: Windows 7 x64 capture in quicktime .mp4

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Motion JPEG is the smallest you can get.

Better get a bigger Harddrive.

Paolo Castellano

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi GetReal,
there are several "optional" capture software that support additional file formats. The problem is that they were designed for professional use and so they could be too expansive for game recording...
Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it

Dennis Sädtler

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Mmh, you could use http://www.amarectv.com/english/amarectv_e.htm.

I use it to capture lossless but it supports most codecs, so you may be able to use a H.264 codec for recording. AmaRec is not easy to deploy, but once it works, it's the best free tool you can get.

Edit: Another idea would be to use streaming software like FFSplit or OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) these programs can record in H.264.

GetReal

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 am

Hi,

Thanks for awesome feedback guys!

I currently have an SSD from Intel with 250GB. This has 500 write and 510 read speed. But this is used as a system drive and also to store my software and games etc. Right now I've got 30-40 GB left on it, which probably makes for one hour of gameplay set to motion JPEG. So more space is as you say required if the motion jpeg encoding is the smallest one. (Even though i was under the impression that .mp4 files are much smaller then the AVI encoding).

I am planning to throw in 2-3 more SSD's in the nearest future and then adding them in RAID0. I'm thinking 250 GB drives since this will round up 500-750 GB total. Which should be more than enough to capture for longer sessions with the motion JPEG selected. In addition I've got a 2 TB hdd, but this is a normal 7500 RPM hdd. All though it is connected to a SATA 6GB/s port on my MB. Perhaps this will do, considering the HDD speed Intensity Pro needs to capture smoothly? I also plan to add in a couple of 2TB drives so that I no longer have to worry about storage problems.
Considering that my 2TB drive already is half full of some recording I've done on PC.

So the plan is eventually to record to the raided SSD's, then taking the file in to an editing program like Vegas. Then breaking it down by editing and compressing for a final storage on the 2TB drives.

But what do you guys think? Will the 2TB HDD be able to record my gaming at least until I get the SSD's?

Dennis Sädtler

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 pm

GetReal wrote:But what do you guys think? Will the 2TB HDD be able to record my gaming at least until I get the SSD's?

Motion JPEG needs about ~10 MB/s, your 2TB should be able to handle that.

I'm able to record uncompressed 10 bit YUV 4:2:2 to my 3 TB HDD (my HDD is able to handle ~186 MB/s), there's no need for SSDs ;) (two 3TBs in RAID 0 would be enough for most things)

GetReal

PostFri Dec 07, 2012 9:44 am

Dennis Sädtler wrote:Motion JPEG needs about ~10 MB/s, your 2TB should be able to handle that.

I'm able to record uncompressed 10 bit YUV 4:2:2 to my 3 TB HDD (my HDD is able to handle ~186 MB/s), there's no need for SSDs ;) (two 3TBs in RAID 0 would be enough for most things)

Thanks for your feedback Dennis!

I know there is no need for the SSDs, but I like to have the very best. I've spent about $10,000 so far, so I really don't intend to stop upgrading the beast.

But hey! Thanks for helping me out. Now that I know my HDDs will hold me up until I can invest in something more awesome!

Return to Getting Started