Blackmagic Cintel FIlm Scanner

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Nabil Mechi

Blackmagic Cintel FIlm Scanner

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Is the new Blackmagic Cintel film scanner, that you are releasing soon, a sprocketed system or not?
I am dealing with archival 16mm films that has some shrinkage problems.
If the scanner is not sprocketed, I believe that I should be able to scan the films. Any feedback?
Nabil Mechi

Colin Barrett

Re: Blackmagic Cintel FIlm Scanner

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm

After quite a fanfare, BM is being very slow to release more info about the scanner. My understanding is that it won't have a sprocketed gate (fingers crossed!). I've asked questions but received no answers about its audio capabilities - mag stripe or optical? Will it have a sep mag/opt sync follower, etc?

It's all a bit of a mystery.

A contact of mine is so fed up with non-info from Blackmagic that he's just upgraded his 16mm/8mm facility from a FlashScan to the new MWA Digital Data Scanner from Germany. And very good it is too!! (Trouble is that the software that drives it only runs on Windows. I rather like the idea of controlling such a device from Thunderbolt on a Mac).
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Hello Nabil and Colin. Sorry for limited information on the Cintel Scanner. We expect more information nearer to release but that date has not been set. I expect it will be on display at NAB in Las Vegas. I can answer the question about the drive and handling of archival film. The Cintel Scanner is sprocket driven and expected to handle up to 2% film shrinkage. The scanner in it's present form would not handle older damaged films. Feel free to PM me at any time if you have further questions. I don't know everything of course, but I would be happy to help with some information.

Best Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Mathieu Marano

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 1:03 am

I was windering if the scanner will handle positive scan and positive sound scan too. Thanks
Mathieu Marano
www.cineground.com

#1: MacPro 3,5GHz 8-core, 32GB RAM, 2x D700 6GB, Ultrastudio 4K
#2: P900, 2x 3.1GHz 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2 x GTX 1080Ti, Decklink 4K 12G
#3: P500, 2x 2.6GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 2x Quadro 5200, W10, Decklink HD Extreme 3

Colin Barrett

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Mathieu Marano wrote:I was windering if the scanner will handle positive scan and positive sound scan too. Thanks

That's one of things I was asking above, too. It's really important that such a scanner facilitates a sync sound follower, too, but I guess that will come a lot later in the product development cycle.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

fateh.shams

PostThu May 28, 2015 8:56 am

Hi,

I am missing more information about the expected shipping date of BMD Cintel Scanner besides "Coming Soon" from last 14 months.

Also more technical details are needed. Will it handle optical and magnetic sound? The transportation seems NOT be Sprocket-less which is big disadvantage for the archive film. What about HDR scanning?

Peter_r

PostSat May 30, 2015 6:52 am

It looks like a continuous 'flash' scanner, so no HDR or IR damage matte if it is.
If you are looking for something like the BMD Cintel Scanner, then the Lasergraphics Personal Scanstation looks like a very similar beast in a similar price bracket.
http://www.lasergraphics.com/scanstatio ... tures.html

It also is sprocketless and has optional gates for different formats, and comes with a PC preconfigured ready to go.

Return to Getting Started