Using HyperDeck for tape-delayed sports broadcasts

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

impalaboy

Using HyperDeck for tape-delayed sports broadcasts

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

We are currently covering live sporting events for tape-delayed playback on air and are recording the games to Betacam. This enables us to stop down recording during intermissions and halftimes, then resume recording when the action begins again. We can also re-cue the Beta deck after a false start (during pre-production, recording too soon before the action resumes, etc.)

We are planning on retiring our Beta decks and are looking at the HyperDeck to do the job.

My question is, will it work the way we are currenlty recording the games and will it play back on-air seamlessly after we stop recording, then start again. What about false starts in the pre-produced opens?
With videotape, we could just re-cue and re-do a starting point and record over the bad stuff.

Is the BMD HyperDeck going to work the way I'm hoping it will?

Is anyone else using it the way we want to?

Thomas Seewald

Re: Using HyperDeck for tape-delayed sports broadcasts

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Here in Forum John Mortensen has experience in Using Hyperdeck with an external controller, which is necessary for its use as slomo-deck.

He alos wrote about it in atemusers here and here

There it also a thread on creative cow
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

impalaboy

Re: Using HyperDeck for tape-delayed sports broadcasts

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 5:22 pm

Thank you for your input Thomas. We have 2 replay decks already so I'm not looking to use the HyperDeck for a replay machine.
We're wanting to use it as a program record machine with stop-down/edit capabilities.

I will contact John. I went to college with him many years ago! :)

Return to Getting Started