Retina MacBook Pro & Shuttle Questions

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

sonicadvdx

Retina MacBook Pro & Shuttle Questions

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 am

Hello all! I have bought a Blackmagic device in the past, but was unable to use it at the quality I desired due to my PC's lackluster horsepower. Today, I come to you guys to alleviate any risk of that happening again, hoping someone here can help me.

I am currently looking to buy a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, and a Thunderbolt Intensity Shuttle to go alone with it. With this, I am most importantly aiming to capture from an HDMI source (Xbox) at 1080(p/i/framerate really a non-issue for me. I just want it to be clear and watchable).

I want to ask two things: First does anybody on the forums use this laptop as their current setup that could tell me how it's worked for them; or at least heard about this being used well? I want to know that this works reliably with the laptop before I buy either one. IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not the beefed-up 15-inch quad-core Retina that I have heard being hailed for it's power. This is the little brother version, which is why I am a little concerned about the performance.

Specs, if that helps anyone:
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
128GB flash storage
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Second, when using the Shuttle, can you mix inputs/outputs? For example, one of my televisions only has HDMI inputs. Could I hook a component/composite/s-video source into the Shuttle, and play it on my TV through the Shuttle's HDMI out? (And record the footage, of course.) I know upscaling can be an issue, and this feature isn't exactly advertised, as far as I can tell, but I was still curious. It would be nice to be able to play all of my older consoles on an HD TV and still capture the footage.

Thanks in advance!

Return to Getting Started