Capturing/Streaming with BMIP ps3 composite

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Noah123

Capturing/Streaming with BMIP ps3 composite

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Ive been using my BMIP on my xbox with component cables for almost 2 years now, i recently bought final fantasy 7 on the ps3 marketplace and i want to cap/stream that now. I cannot use 2 hdmi without a converter and i don't have the ps3 component cables. I was wondering if its possible to have the ps3 composite cables go into the bmip Y-In the hdmi output onto the monitor and if so can someone tell me the settings i need to use so i can get more then just a black screen. I haven't been able to make this work someone please help!

Kaspar Ko

Blackmagic Design

Re: Capturing/Streaming with BMIP ps3 composite

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 am

Hello,

Well, the answer is yes, but there is a caveat. Composite is only capable of standard definition so you would have to set your PS3 to output 480i or NTSC/PAL depending where you are. The settings in Media Express would have to reflect that as well and in the Blackmagic control panel, you'll have to set the input to Y-In Composite. The output/pass through will be in SD which will go out the HDMI port but then it's up to your television to scale that to it's display.

You would only capture standard definition and your television would be doing whatever scaling it does when it receives a SD signal over HDMI. Some televisions handle it better than others so your image may vary on what you see on your output.
Kaspar Ko
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Return to Getting Started