Need help with church video setup/live/capture

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

vicgli05

Need help with church video setup/live/capture

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 am

I am new and trying to help my church out with video setup. Please don't ask me or tell me to hook up camera directly into projector because it's not a possibility. So here"s my issue and I would appreciate any help:

I have 2 desktop PC's (windows 7). I have 2 HD projectors with HDMI/VGA inputs. I have a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI and Analog Editing Card and a Comprehensive HDMI Distribution Amplifier (1 x 4). I also have a JVC HD camcorder with HDMI/USB output.

Now, I need to take the Camcorder, capture the live footage into one pc, use the distribution amp to have the live camcorder stream to the second computer which will stream live to the Projectors. This is the setup I need.

My problem is, what software do I need to capture live footage on one pc, and stream live footage to projector on another pc? I've never done this before so any help would be appreciated. I need any software/hardware suggestions that would be useful for my church. I also have access to any CS6 adobe programs but I am not sure this would help me in this case?

Thanks in advance!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: Need help with church video setup/live/capture

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 pm

For what do u need secondary pc?
For me its easy setup.. Put hdmi signal from camcorder to hdmi splitter .. Outpu 1 to bmd card connected in pc1 . Output 2 to projektor 1, output 3 to projektor 2..

Dont forget.. If u put signal to pc2 and its output to projektor, u will het video delay on projectors
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

vicgli05

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I will be storing the video on the other pc. But does anyone know any software

Aaron Star

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Pytkin's response is still valid as a response. If you diagram what he is saying you will see that you can use the BM - Media Express application to record the HD camera, and the splitter will feed the live signal to the video projectors. Once done capturing with the Media Express client, open the footage in CS to edit. The MJPEG capture format will work well for what you are doing, but you will need to do the math on 12MB/s times the amount of record time you need, which comes to about 44GB/hr.

I am not a BM salesman, but they have a live switcher that will record right to .MP4 and allow for multiple cameras out to projectors. That would seem optimal for what you are trying to do. That way you could add a 2nd camera for a podium shot and a wider shot for different parts for the show.

Mike Squires

PostTue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 pm

HDMI out of the camera into the Intensity Pro. HDMI out of the Intensity Pro in the HDMI distributor. HDMI distributor to your projectors.

Media Express, which comes with the Intensity Pro, can record. While it's recording, it will loop the video back out.

I agree with AaronStar, I'd use the MJPEG format.

D W Tnow

PostThu Dec 20, 2012 2:54 pm

You have no problem as this is the standard setup for everybody. And why do you need a second PC to capture. Well since you already have two pcs use the first one to capture and connect two outputs HDMI And Composite, one to your editing monitor and the other to the other team on the other pc. In this way your PC 2 can output with Easy Worship, text, Announcements and more without interferring with the Capture on PC 1. The other option is to split the incoming signal to both. But if you want to capture more streams then you need this software (vMix 8) and a PC with more Intensity card

vicgli05

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 1:35 am

Thanks for the insight. I am trying this advice out tomorrow and will keep you posted

Return to Getting Started