Editing ProRes 422 files on an older Mac

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Josh Hull

Editing ProRes 422 files on an older Mac

PostThu May 28, 2015 2:21 am

I'm sure this is totally a newb question so thanks for humoring me :)

I just added a HyperDeck Studio Pro 2 to our video recording set up, which has been working great. I thought going into this that the ProRes 422 format would be a video file that we could directly work with, instead of encoding into a different format for editing. Previously we were recording RAW using Media Express, and expected it to take a long time to encode into the iMovie format.

Now with the ProRes format, the video files still take a REALLY long time to import into iMovie.

I'm wondering if there's a way to just reference the video file itself without de-re-encoding it into the iMovie specific format. I was hoping that it would be a setup where we could pop the SSD into the dock, and start editing.

We're using iMovie to add a title screen, trim the video, re-encode it and upload to vimeo.

I would just try out the FCPX trial to see if it works that way there, but my Mac doesn't have a supported video card (aka - it's too old).

I really need to get rid of this 5 hour importing lag time. (There are typically three files being imported on a weekly basis into iMovie.). Ideally, we should be able to take the SSD after a session, put it into a SSD Dock, trim, add a title screen, and immediately begin uploading to vimeo. It really could take less than 15 minutes to get that done.

Whats the best way to handle this? Is there a better application? A different way to import? Something else I'm not considering?

Thanks for the help!

Return to Getting Started