Help? Recording PC Gameplay

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Diablodoc

Help? Recording PC Gameplay

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 4:05 am

Hey,

I've been looking into buying either the Intensity Pro, or the Intensity Shuttle for Game recording.

I've got a very high-end computer that I wish to record gameplay from, and using the very same computer to do all other tasks related to the streaming.
Aka, input and output all go to the same computer.

And unfortunately my monitor doesn't have speakers on it. I use a USB Headset (with mic too) for that.

Since the Intensity Pro connects to the PCI, that seems a lot better and simpler than using an external USB device, but I'm not entirely sure how to handle the actual inputs and outputs.
I don't even know if this will work in the first place..

So I have a few questions that I think may be specific enough to lead me closer?:

1. Can I use BOTH the HDMI and "Breakout" outputs at once, using the SPDIF from the latter and HDMI for video?
2. And since my headset is USB, is it then impossible to let it receive audio, since there is no "USB" output for audio on the Intensity?

(Here's the diagram for the Intensity that I looked at): http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/1 ... itypro.png

I'm speculating whether you can allow the source audio to be played through the Headphones at the same time as letting the Intensity Pro stream it independently, anyone know if it'll let me do that?
I have a feeling that as long as I don't have to "select" the Intensity Pro as a "default playback device" in Windows, I can still let Windows use my USB Headphones as that, but does the Intensity Pro get selected that way, or is it independent from those settings?

Just incase you wonder, my system should be high-end enough to handle most things. 2x GTX 690 in SLI, i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM and a 120 Hz monitor are at my disposal. Just wondering if this is possible?

Dennis Sädtler

Re: Help? Recording PC Gameplay

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 4:15 pm

For that kind of computer, you won't need a capture card for streaming.
It could do more than 2560x1600 without issues with DXTory etc. and Streaming up to 1080p60 if your bandwith/HDD is sufficient (an i7 2600K and GTX580 can do that).

1.: I don't have an Intensity Pro, in case of the Shuttle you can use all outputs simultaneously.
2.: However, if you want to stream with a capture card configuration, the computer audio is usually recorded by the Streaming software (e.g. XSplit) itself. But I don't know how you could loop your audio back to your headphones.

Diablodoc

Re: Help? Recording PC Gameplay

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 12:42 am

I cannot use XSplit (I actually use FFSplit today, more preferrable) simply because of compatibility issues. Same with DXTory.

Remember, capturing software bases itself on set methods for capturing certain outputs; they do not have direct access to the gfx card, nor its output (which is directly broadcast to the monitor), meaning that they have to rely on their ability to interface with whatever program you are recording.

Fraps is capable of hooking itself onto DirectX and OpenGL processes, which I also think DXtory is doing. FFSplit is a general recorder, but that also means it cannot support games that aren't able to either run completely in windowed mode, or run outside of a deep-engine environment.

Worms Armageddon, for instance, cannot be recorded properly. It simply gives either a black screen, or intense framerate issues because of its coding. Some games also crash as a result of recording via software, or the recording apps may become unstable.
I play tons of legacy games, as well as use special editing software with special fullscreen modes and other, that I need to be able to record, so I cannot use a general software recorder; I need to simply record any output whatsoever, which is only doable by attaching something outside of the graphics card..

Thanks for declaring it on the shuttle.. Anyone know if the same goes for the Pro?

Return to Getting Started