Intensity Clarification

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Joey

Intensity Clarification

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello.

i've been wanting to get the new 2012 27" imac for a while now, and i've been looking for a way to use it as a monitor for my xbox 360. I got rid of my tv a while ago coz i didn't want it there taking up space just for gaming, since i've been enjoying gaming on my 24" screen more, so i just want one screen for my computer usage and xbox.

now first of all, i'd like to point out that i have absolutely no interest in capturing any gameplay from my xbox. i just want something that will allow me to input 1080p video with no lag from it to the imac.

i stumbled upon Intensity, and i've tried reading about everything it does but still didn't come across a solid answer about if it can be used purely for just gaming. i'd like to know if it's as simple as plugging an hdmi cable from my xbox into it, and a thunderbolt cable from the imac to game.

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity Clarification

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Hello Joey,

The short answer is you will want to look for a TV tuner card and not use our ingest hardware.

Intensity (as well as our other capture devices) will allow you to view/capture from your game console but this will neither be full screen, nor full quality (when viewing) as it is meant as a preview of your incoming source.

The capture can be uncompressed but when strictly viewing, this will be a preview. Also, due to the processing by the graphics card to draw a preview of this incoming signal, there will be a slight delay on the computer monitor, which is of course not ideal for gameplay.

If all you are looking to do is view your game on your computer monitor in full resolution, you might be better off looking for a TV tuner.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Joey

Re: Intensity Clarification

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks for the input, Albert.

looks like i'm gonna have to look for a good tv tuner. but still, intensity seems like a solid device and i might make use of it sometime in the future. ;)

Return to Getting Started