Newbie Q: Importing Video from VHS tapes on Mac

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Clark Venable

Newbie Q: Importing Video from VHS tapes on Mac

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm a long time Mac user but new to desktop video. My wife asked me to import some old VHS tape video into the digital realm.

I purchased a Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt.
I'm using recent MacPro running 10.10.5
I've installed DesktopVideo 10.5
I have Blackmagic Media Express version 3.4.1 (installed off DVD--can't find what most recent version is on web site.)

I just purchased a new DVD/VHS player from Funai which outputs HDMI.

I can see video playing on a monitor hooked up to the VHS player via HDMI.

When I plug that same HDMI cable into the Shuttle Express HKMI IN port, I don't see even a flicker of anything in the MediaExpress Log and Capture window.

I believe I have the setting right. I'm using PAL format.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Clark Venable
Hershey, PA

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Newbie Q: Importing Video from VHS tapes on Mac

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Because this is a hybrid DVD/VHS player, you may have an issue with HDCP regardless if the signal matches or not.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Lee Gauthier

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 2:10 am

If your VHS/DVD has the capability, you might have better luck transferring the VHS to DVD, and then ripping the DVD to your Mac using something like RipIt. Then you can convert the footage into whatever codec works best.

Adam Simmons

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 pm

But you would probably be degrading an already poor picture by converting to Mpeg2 on the DVD then loading that in to work with
Not saying that Lee's idea isn't good, just pointing out the possible downside
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Lee Gauthier

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Definitely an imperfect solution, but better than nothing.

Chad

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 pm

You could also just try plugging in the VCR via composite, instead of the HDMI connector. But most importantly, when capturing from VHS tape, you need a Time Base Corrector to fix the signal irregularities of old magnetic tape.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 9:03 pm

In addition to what has already been said, you can always use component video output, if present.

Colin Barrett

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 2:02 pm

It's a question that's asked often on here - copying old unstable composite and component video sources to digital will always - repeat always - require some form of timebase correction before the A-D conversion can occur reliably. And then there are proper timebase correctors (ones that are designed for use in broadcast environments and which are designed for heavy lifting) and those ProAmps which do little but allow adjustment of black, chroma and luminance and little to really stabilise the source.

I use four broadcast TBCs, the best of which is an ex-BBC Snell & Wilcox TBC11 which will stabilise just about anything you throw at it, and I fee the component outputs to various Blackmagic products for Mac - Shuttle, Teranex 2D and H.264 Pro Recorder - but without a TBC all captures will have a tendancy to fail as soon as there's a hole in syncs.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 5:36 pm

I also use a S&W Combo TBC and video processor that converts the analog signal to SDI, in addition to outputting component analog out. It has composite, S-Video, and component inputs, all switchable from the front panel. As Colin said, you NEED a TBC to convert old tapes, won't work without one.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 6:06 am

Error, disregard
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started