HDMI to SDI Mini Converter no signal

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

vaskanal

HDMI to SDI Mini Converter no signal

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi guys!
I just bought new HDMI to SDI Mini Converter to convert HDMI signal from my SetTop Box to fit my GrassValey Indigo SDI mixer. No matter what I tried (processing on/off, new cable, different STB) all I got was black video/no audio. Same signal works prfectly on LCD TV.

STB1: Strong SRT8100 (recently updated frimware)
STB2: Motorola VIP1003

Regards,
Piko

owbeeone

Re: HDMI to SDI Mini Converter no signal

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 pm

(some) domestic HDMI signals a stripped of the sync etc, to prevent (re)recording of the signal.
could be the case, and thus your grass valley wont be able to 'see' the signal, hence black.

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Maybe the HDMI copy protection ....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Daniel Knoche

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

You could try a DVI extender with a HDMI to DVI adapter. It is a similar issue with the Apple TV (HDMI to SDI converter doesn't work but a DVI extender does) Am guessing it's an HDCP issue.

I do know that in Australia Foxtel actually go component out of their set top boxes because when wanting to convert to SDI, HDMI to SDI converters don't work on their set top boxes because of HDCP!!!

Also previously had a set top box that did work with HDMI out to SDI converters but was told not to update the firmware because it would break that ability. I specifically chose that set top box because I knoew it would be able to do that. That was around 2009.

The DVI extender will not include audio from the set top box HDMI but you could use a 2 RCA-3.5mm lead for the audio to attach from the set top box to the DVI extender
Daniel

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Hello Daniel,

Like some of the other posted responses, you are most likely running into HDCP (copyright protection).

A set top box will most likely flag its HDMI out with HDCP which will not work in this scenario.

I do wish I had better news for you.
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Return to Getting Started