Video Assist

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Peter Rance

Video Assist

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 11:00 am

My Video Assist arrived today, looks like a great piece of kit, just waiting for the relevant cables to be delivered.

One thing that seems missing - I can select 4 flavours of Prores in the Codec menu but DNxHD doesn't appear .

Is it not available in this software release ?
Peter Rance
Lighting Cameraman
UK

Ryan Glass

Re: Video Assist

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Where did you preorder from?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 6:15 pm

This is something that is coming in a future firmware release.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Peter Rance

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 6:25 pm

CVP in the UK

Ordered and paid deposit during NAB so probably top of the list
Peter Rance
Lighting Cameraman
UK

hatzenbach

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 1:26 am

Tony Rivera wrote:This is something that is coming in a future firmware release.

:). Don't hold your breath.
Many of us are still waiting for advertised features to be enabled on BMD products we bought years ago.
Hatzen Bach. Now calling Australia home.

Matt Hohman

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 1:48 am

hatzenbach wrote:
Tony Rivera wrote:This is something that is coming in a future firmware release.

:). Don't hold your breath.
Many of us are still waiting for advertised features to be enabled on BMD products we bought years ago.

Amen.
Atem 2M/E Switcher & Panel, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, DeckLink, Compact VideoHub, UltraScope, OpenGear, HDLink, SmartView, MiniConverters, The list goes on and on.
Matt Hohman
Technical Ministries
New Heights Church
http://www.NewHeights.org

Ellory Yu

PostFri Oct 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Someone on the BMCUSER forum got their VA. From what I read, it does not have focus peaking on the monitor itself and that it does not display raw or video but you can adjust the sat and contrast to emulate a Rec 709 display. No waveform or scopes yet.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Colin Barrett

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 am

I'm interested in a Video Assist but I'm going to hold back a while until (or "if") full DNxHD support is offered and other stuff is ironed out. If it takes too long then I'll jump ship to Atomos, I'm afraid. BlackMagic will be missing a major opportunity if this isn't developed properly - and quickly!
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 pm

I agree with you Colin, one thing that is a non starter for me is a lack of focus punch in (zoom to pixel) and the ability to at least have independent focus peaking, so you can get a "clean recording" and still use it for a monitor/focus aid.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Pavel Lavrov

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I agree with you Colin, one thing that is a non starter for me is a lack of focus punch in (zoom to pixel) and the ability to at least have independent focus peaking, so you can get a "clean recording" and still use it for a monitor/focus aid.

I've been looking at video devices and their approach to video recorder/monitor. Vey interesting compared to BD and Atomos...

Sent - Tapatalk
Pavel L

Denny Smith

PostSun Oct 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes, I went with the Video Devices originally when audio support on BM cameras was very weak. VD recorders have the best audio support options of the lot, after all, they are Sound Devices and their excellent preamps are part of the VD recorders. The new model, series looks very promising, in a smaller/lighter package and micpre amps are now an add on option.

Now if the Video Assit can record clean audio from something like the MicPreD's stereo TRS feed, and they add either or both focus punch in and peaking independent of camera, so a "clean" video feed from camera can be used for recording, then the VA will give everyone a run for their money.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started