ATEM TVS advice needed

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mike Ramsey

ATEM TVS advice needed

PostSat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Greetings all,

I am by far not an expert in the realm of video production but I have been asked to create a system for recording services at our church to upload to YouTube. I believe the ATEM TVS is the right switcher to use for the job but could use some input to make sure I have it right.

The setup I would like to create would include 3 HD cameras in fixed positions. We also use PowerPoint projections during the service that would be the 4th 'camera' input. If my understanding is correct all would need to have the same encoding format into the switcher. I will show my lack of expertise now. I am a IT guy so I understand resolutions. The cameras will have a 1920x1080 res but our current projector has 1024x768. Am I thinking correctly that the resolution has nothing to do with the format?

Do I need another device for the projector signal? If so what should I look for.

The next part of this is the control. I understand that the switcher is controlled from a pc/laptop and that works for our setup just fine. I have some extra HD monitors for the preview outputs and the screen for the switcher control would just be my laptop. Can I simultaneously record the 'broadcast' on the same pc/laptop that the switcher is being run from or would it be best to dedicate a machine for recording?

How to capture the recorded 'broadcast' to the pc or laptop. I get that the USB 2.0 will create the h.264 encoded signal but is that the one I would capture or? The goal is to eliminate as much post production editing as possible. So I would still want to add ending credits for all of our copyright and licensing info at the end.

I will not be using audio from the cameras but rather audio from our sound system mixer. This is another plus to using the ATEM TVS for me anyways. I don't think I need anything special to bring the audio signal in.

Essentially we are trying to do a good quality video for YouTube. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Return to Getting Started