Decklink Mini Monitor HDMI ouput issues (artifacts)

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Heiko Thies

Decklink Mini Monitor HDMI ouput issues (artifacts)

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 am

Hello!

Yesterday I received my Decklink Mini Monitor card. I followed the instructions and installed it into my PC (HP ENVY h8-1520eg w. Windows 10 64 bit). I installed the latest drivers and the BM desktop video tool lists my card accordingly. The BM Media Express tool shows me my clips in full HD on my TV I used for testing. Unfortunately, in every other program like Resolve 12, Premiere Pro CC or After Effects CC (both latest versions) I only get a very distorted flickering image filled with green blocks and artifacts. I only seem to get a flawless output when I select a low resolution like SD 16:9. As soon as I go into any of the HD resolutions regardless of the frame rate or progressive/interlace the output is faulty. Sometimes output completely stops and I get a black screen on the external monitor and Playback on the GUI freezes.

I already tried both available PCI-E slots on my board (There are 3 PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0), one is blocked by the graphics card which uses 2 slots), tried reinstalling the driver but no luck whatsoever. I also noticed that I now have 5 unknown devices listed on the devices manager, although the card drivers have been installed and the decklink card is listed. I also tried different HDMI cables, same results. If I didn't have flawless HD 1080 output from Media Express, I would have just assumed to have a faulty hardware and return the device. But since I see glimpses of a working device I assume it must be something else that can be fixed.

I really hope I find some help here, I've searched for 2 hours yesterday about this problem and only found one or two similar cases which did not have any real solutions available and dated back to 2013.
Last edited by Heiko Thies on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heiko Thies

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor HDMI ouput issues (artfacts / gree

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I did some more testing and got rid of the unknown devices listed in the hardware manager after clearing drivers and reinstalling the card with the latest drivers. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem. I also noticed when playback via decklink is active in Premiere Pro or Resolve I don´t get realtime playback but merely 50% slow motion with out of sync audio. To further help adress the issue I took a photo of the monitor displaying the artifacts:

decklink_artifacts.jpg
decklink_artifacts.jpg (409.27 KiB) Viewed 5549 times

Adam Simmons

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 pm

If you are using the 10.5 drivers then try uninstalling them and use the 10.4.3 drivers
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Heiko Thies

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 6:41 am

Thanks for the reply. I forget to mention I already tried the 10.4.3 drivers too. Same result. I guess trying even older drivers makes no sense since I´m on Windows 10 and according to the support pages 10.4.3 was the first version that added Windows 10 support.

Heiko Thies

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor HDMI ouput issues (artifacts)

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 8:32 pm

UPDATE everyone. It works... Somehow it works... My reseller contacted me a few days ago after I sent in the first card and said it was working just fine on their systems and asked me a few rather generic questions like "have you tried another cable" etc. Anyways I wrote them everything I've tried already and did not hear back from them. Today when I came home I had a packet waiting at my door, a brand new Decklink mini monitor card. So I installed it and just like I was expecting same result as with the first card. Completely garbage picture with green artifacts. Again. I was already giving up but to at least test all options again with this new card I also connected it via SDI to my low cost SDI-to-HDMI converter and again, artifacts. But then I tried the different SDI settings in Resolve (like I did with the first card) and to my amazement I get a perfect picture when selecting "use 4:4:4 SDI". I'm not really sure how this is possible as the same setting with the first card did not help anything, but now it does. Unfortunately though, this is a setting I do not have in the Adobe CC programs so there the output is still useless. But after all these weeks and let downs I will take this little victory for now! :)

Heiko Thies

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 12:00 am

Ok so today my new EIZO CS230 monitor arrived and now it gets really confusing. This monitor actually works with the HDMI connection directly without going through SDI out into my converter. The thing is, it only works when I still have the "4:4:4 to SDI" setting checked in Resolve. I would think this setting is only for SDI connections? When I deactivate that I again get the green artifacts even on the new EIZO CS230. As before in Adobe Premiere CC I have the artifacts no matter what as there are no settings for the decklink. But I'm helping myself now by using the DVI cable from the graphics card alongside the decklink output. I switch between the inputs on the monitor for whichever program I'm working in.

What bothers me though is ever since I have Resolve configured to work with the decklink mini monitor card, it became sluggish and does not react as fluently on the scopes. Also the video in the GUI is stuttering while on the decklink output it's running just fine, Resolve even displays 25 fps with the green indicator but the GUI does not reflect it, looks more like max. 15 fps.

Viktor Sommerfeld

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 5:32 pm

Hey,

I know this is an very old thread. But I am running into the same issues here. The setup is actually a bit different, but the symptoms are quite the same.
I am running an Ultrastudio Mini Monitor on quite a powerful Windows 10 laptop, via TB3 to TB2 (Apple Adapter) and then via HDMI into an EIZO CS240. Experiencing exactly the same green/purple artifacts and getting a bit better signal when enabling "SDI 4:4:4" (but still disrupted).
Tried the old drivers, tried other cables, tried different Resolve Version. Unfortunately I cant find a download for "Media Express" anywhere, so I can´t try if playback is actually working at all with this mini monitor. It could just be a hardware problem.
Anyone any wiser than 4 years ago? Is there a workaround for this?

Thank you very much for your help!

Viktor

Return to Getting Started