H.264 Pro Recorder and Media Express workflow?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Terance Ostrander

H.264 Pro Recorder and Media Express workflow?

PostTue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm

I was wondering anyone could provide a little more detail on the capture workflow of Media Express? Right now my company is using OnLocation CS3 to capture our live events. This lets us hit F2 to stop recording one clip and automatically start recording the next with only a slight delay between the two clips. We are also able to name the previously recorded clip in the software while capturing a new clip. The renamed clip reflects the actual filename on the hard drive and not just for use in the software.

My question is how close does Media Express come to this workflow? We are constantly having issues with the IEEE 1394 connection on our laptops and need to find a new solution. From the few videos I've seen online it looks like you press the capture button in Media Express to start capturing and then hit it again to stop capturing. What happens after you stop capturing and how quickly can you start capturing a new clip? Can you rename previously recorded clips in the software? If you can't rename them in the software, can you rename them in file explorer while the program is capturing a different clip?

Thanks for any help

Pavel Lavrov

Re: H.264 Pro Recorder and Media Express workflow?

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 am

Ok, I pulled h.264 Recorder Pro and tried to do those things...

1.What happens after you stop capturing?
File gets saved to "Scratch" bin, left side of the screen, which you can rename to group or organize your shoots.

2. How quickly can you start capturing a new clip?
I haven't tested exactly how many frames I get lost but since file is recording the whole time right to HDD there is no processing I was able to hit it again as quickly as I can and it goes right a way to capture next clip. (Had some issues with this, stopping and starting right a way, on my friends old laptop. Later discovered that his HDD speed was really low due to fragmentation...)

3. Can you rename previously recorded clips in the software?
No. It freezes the left side of the soft screen where the clips are. Even when not capturing it will only let you select them and see the info you've entered.

But you can name it before and it will add incremental number to it as you go.

4. ...can you rename them in file explorer while the program is capturing a different clip?
Yes, and NO. If you've just recorded one clip and recording next one you will not be able to rename it in the explorer. It sees as that clip is being open in Media Express soft.

But if you clear the clip or clips from the Media Express then you can easily rename them in Explorer. And another "but" you can only do that when not capturing.
Pavel L

Terance Ostrander

Re: H.264 Pro Recorder and Media Express workflow?

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Thank you for the information. This has definitely helped out.

Return to Getting Started