Memory Card Issue

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

bobbyarthur

Memory Card Issue

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi There

im completely new to anything video really , a songwriter using software in a well equipped studio .

i decided on a black magic pocket cinema with the hopes of building up a system for creating video for created music etc

we just got the camera then updated the software , a ring adaptor and now a sandisk memory card

a sandisk 64gb extreme 280mb/s sdxc ush 11 card

things are firing up save for lack of experience

but there is a problem , it jitters / pauses /sticks for a blip here and there during recording

not knowing the software either Davinci lite - importing the file and hitting play there is a small light top right side that also goes from green to red at the glitch point

have now formatted the card both ways internally to see if there was a difference but there is not

it simply does this

does anyone have any experience they could share to some one out of the box having this emmediate issue

thanks in advance

Bobby Arthur

visinc

Re: Memory Card Issue

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi Bobby,

Sounds like you're experiencing playback issues, not recording issues. The SD card you purchased should be fast enough to capture compressed video (ProRes) without dropping frames. The red light at the top of your edit screen means Resolve is having to drop playback quality (frames) to keep up... which means that your computer/hard drive system isn't fast enough to keep up.

I would recommend looking up the minimum requirements for Resolve to make sure you meet (and exceed) them.

Good luck!

bobbyarthur

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 2:57 am

Thanks so much for your response and input

that would make sense as it was on my laptop but also have a bigger desk top heavy enough to handle complex music - more ram faster etc

so the light on the corner i understand now

but the thing is that "frame drop" ? or glitch can be seen while playing back from the camera itself right after shooting

it was just coincendence ( due to lack of knowledge ) that when the file was moved to the computer i could see the light jump from green to red at the same time in Resolve

so the issue is already there in the camera playback itself at the same places resolve sees it

does that make sense or any other ideas - have re formatted card in both formats to see if that would make a difference but same issue

any input would be appreciated as im at a loss and start to question the card itself

best

Bobby

Adam Simmons

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 am

The camera doesn't support UHS II cards, they need a different SD controller that has extra pins to get the extra speed out of those cards, so the camera is only using the cards at standard SD speed which means it's dropping out as it's not fast enough when used as a standard card. That's why BM have a validated list
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 7:33 pm

Get the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS I (90 mbs) cards for trouble free recording.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

orienhopper

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks bobby for have a discussion such issue on SD card. I have a friend who ordered a SanDisk SD cards from an online store as "Mobansp" but faced same problem like yours. I will share all information’s and suggestions to him hope he will find solutions from this discussion.

Return to Getting Started