decklink processing

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

bshock84

decklink processing

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 pm

Hello. I am using a blackmagic decklink HD card, and am having to do a down convert from hd to sd for what i am doing. I was wondering where the processing actually takes place. I would assume since it's a hardware card that all the processing is done on the card and doesn't affect the computer CPU, but I wasn't sure about that. Does anyone know if it actually uses any of the computer's CPU or other resources to do it's processing? I am having some freezing and crashing issues with the software I am using it with, so I just want to rule out the decklink from being one of the problems.

Thanks

-- Ben

Albert Chu

Blackmagic Design

Re: decklink processing

PostThu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello Ben,

If you are using a DeckLink Studio or a DeckLink HD Extreme 3D, there is a hardware downconverter build onto the actual board. When playing back HD footage and selecting the 'Select Output Processing" tab from HD to SD, the DeckLink is handling the processing for downconversion.

Which software are you using?

If you are not using Media Express, does this freezing/crashing still happen when using Media Express?
Albert Chu

Support Representative
Blackmagic Design USA

Return to Getting Started