Genlock - Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jaroslaw Syrek

Genlock - Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Hello,
please help. I would like to buy 5 cameras and record 360 video.
How to genlock them ?

On the website
you can read :

The revolutionary expansion port lets you create custom remote control, external power and monitoring solutions. The included breakout cable gives you access to many of the camera’s unique functions, but you can also create your own custom cables that open the camera up to do even more. In addition to things like LANC, power, video out, and genlock, you also get 4 analog PWM radio remote control inputs so you can map camera functions to the dials, knobs, buttons and joysticks on model airplane remotes!

Do i need to buy separate generator or maybe there is some kind of hub i can connect all 5 cameras and make them synchronize the way one of them is master and 4 are in slave mode, reading the signal from the master one.

I asked this question directly to blackmagic and got an answer : :arrow: "ask on forum"

Kind regards
Jarek Syrek

Denny Smith

Re: Genlock - Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 8:24 pm

You should really ask this question on the "Live Production" forum. As far as I know, the Micro Studio does not output time code. To sync 5 cameras, you need an external sync generator to send black burst or tri-level sync signal. You can get Broadcast versions used, that have more than one output, or use the BM sync generator with a video signal distribution amp.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jaroslaw Syrek

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 pm

thank you very much ;)

David Peterson

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 am

You need an external box which does genlock, by far the best (& cheapest!) option for this is the Ultrasync ONE.

I own a couple of them plus a :wave, which I highly recommend buying a :wave as well to help manage them over the :blink network.

http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 12:14 pm

If you want Genlock just add the Mini converter Sync generator.. And they will all run genlocked.
syncGen.png
syncGen.png (49.58 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

Timecode is not Genlock !! But if they are all running on the Genlock and you trigger them all simultaneously into record with the S.bus you would be able to archive sync between the cameras.. ;)

Cinema camera only goes 1080P ;) Not like his studio brother up to 4K.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started