FCP X XML export problem

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BlainBrown

FCP X XML export problem

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 12:19 am

I have an older Mac Pro tower (2,1) that won't run Resolve 9 so I'm still using 8.2. When I output an XML from FCP X, it is xml version 1.2, and Resolve says it will only support versions 1.0 and 1.1.

Is there any workaround for this?

A related problem: on my Mac Book Pro laptop (which will run Resolve 9, when I output an XML from FCP X (on the same machine) and try to import it to Resolve 9, I get error code "Invalid file. Line 4." Any idea what this problem might be?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: FCP X XML export problem

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah, unfortunately the newest version of resolve requires 64 bit kernal which cannot be used on the older macs. Furthermore the most recent to FCP X requires the latest version of Resolve to import properly.

For your second problem, it's totally related, but easier to get to work. You've update FCP X but not resolve. You need do download the latest web release of resolve 9 and then that error should go away. There were significant changes to the XML in the latest release of FCPX which required an update on our side.

For the first issue, I know of no work around outside of taking the FCPX XML over to a machine that can run the latest version of resolve.

I hope that helps.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

BlainBrown

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 am

Yes, thanks. For now, I'm exporting the XML to my Mac Book Pro and most of the time it works.

Since the Mac laptop has limited processing power I have also tried exporting to Resolve 9.1 on my Windows 8 machine. It imports fine, but when I try to export the files, there are no ProRes options available. The only Quicktime options are uncompressed, MPEG4, H264 and DNxHD.

The uncompressed options, when exported, are not readable by anything: FCPX, MPEG Streamclip, VLC or anything else I've tried. The H264 option is readable in FCP, but it's not what I want and also, the rendered files from Resolve don't reconnect when imported into FCP.

I don't know why there are no ProRes option on Windows Resolve 9.1. I tried reinstalling and it didn't change.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 02, 2013 2:01 am

Windows Resolve does not support ProRes rendering.

Supported Codecs for the various Resolve versions can be found here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... lse&os=win
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to Getting Started