Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Motherboard Compatibility

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Suda

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Motherboard Compatibility

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 am

Hello. I'm planning on buying a new capture card; the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle.

I've done my research here and there, and the product is listed to be compatible with x58 series motherboards with onboard USB 3.0 cards. I am a bit confused as to whether or not it's only compatible with x58 series motherboards with USB 3.0 cards. Of course, drivers updated.

My question is: will I be able to buy a USB 3.0 PCIe card (as I have seen others ask if they are compatible as well) for my motherboard that is not in the x58 series?

I had been planning on buying any USB 3.0 PCIe card in the first place since I have no onboard 3.0 input, but I am skeptical about buying any of it in the first place if it won't work. I have looked at other questions and on Blackmagic forums, but I haven't seen a straight answer as to whether a non-x58 series motherboard can run the capture card in anyway.

If that is not a solution, is it possible to get the Blackmagic Intensity Pro instead of the shuttle to solve my problems?

Specs:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

Liam Kennedy

Re: Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Motherboard Compatibility

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 am

I bought an Intensity Pro rather than deal with the uncertainties and complexity of a USB3.0 based solution. I was very glad that I did that.

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by Liam Kennedy on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Suda

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 am

Thank you for letting me know that the Intensity Pro is a surefire solution.

However, I would still like to know if it's possible to use the Shuttle in my situation, since I favor it more than Pro for its portability, I guess.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 am

Suda wrote:I would still like to know if it's possible to use the Shuttle in my situation, since I favor it more than Pro for its portability, I guess.

Your guess is as good as anyones.. and I am afraid the USB3 compatability is so hit-n-miss it does pretty much seem to be just luck unless someone here has the exact same motherboard and already knows. If you have persistence and don't mind trying out things and returning them if they don't work - that may be the answer.

As for me... I was lucky that my laptop's USB3 port works with my USB3.0 attached ATEM 1ME (which likely means it will also work with a USB3 Shuttle). My desktop system has a USB3.0 which is not compatible - but the Intensity Pro works great there.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Jeff Dickens

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Pardon the necro-posting but this topic deserves to be revisited.

It's not 2013 any more and the Renesas chipset is not the only game in town. USB 3.0 is mainstream and we need a clear statement on whether or not you are following the standards, or whether some nearly obsolete chipset is required in order to use the Intensity Shuttle on systems with native xHCI support.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm

There is a lot of documentation here on the forum about this.. And BMD even updated there Support documentation last week!
I put together info about the USB 3 in the Live Video FAQ.
Check : Frequently Asked Questions - Capture, Playbackand Stream Under USB
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started