UltraStudio Mini Recorder & HDMI to SDI Micro Converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Thomas Brown

UltraStudio Mini Recorder & HDMI to SDI Micro Converter

PostFri May 27, 2016 3:42 am

Can I use the HDMI to SDI Micro Converter to send HD video from a Canon Vixia HF R62 (HDMI out) over a long run of SDI cable to a Ultra Studio Mini Recorder that feeds into my MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt for use in Wirecast? I see the Mini Recorder in my BMD Desktop Utility and can set it for SDI. I can also see the Mini Recorder in Wirecast Sources. But I don't get a picture, only a black screen.

If I can get the basic configuration to work, can I use the second SDI BNC connector on the Micro Converter to add an external monitor to the camera?

Erik Berends

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder & HDMI to SDI Micro Converter

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Thomas,
Did you figure this out?
I have the same setup here, Micro HDMI to SDI and Mini Recorder, and I'm getting also a black screen when I try to capture from SDI.
When I use the HDMI directly on the mini recorder I have a working image, and when I use a broadcast SDI source in the studio on my mini recorder I get an image as well.
Where you able to get this working?
I also need to extend and capture an HDMI output over a long distance and figured that SDI would be a good solution

Edit: Nevermind, in the meantime I have seen your other posts which explained the 3G SDI output at 1080p60 and the incompatible Mini Recorder (only 1.5G)

Return to Getting Started