Pro Recorder not recognized by OBS

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chris Rupp

Pro Recorder not recognized by OBS

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 9:16 pm

I've been banging my head against the wall all day trying to figure this out but I'm having no luck. Here's my setup:

Windows 10
BM micro studio camera 4k
h.264 pro recorder

I updated to Camera software 3.3 and video software 10.6.8.

I have the camera plugged into the recorder (hdmi to hdmi). The recorder is plugged into my computers USB3 slot. Media Express sees it fine, so I know it is working overall. However, the whole reason I had purchased this setup was to be able to livestream on FB or YT with my camera, which is why I wanted to use OBS (0.14.2). OBS recognzies that there is a BM setup, but the properties dont allow me to actually do anything with it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

-Chris

Adam Simmons

Re: Pro Recorder not recognized by OBS

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:05 pm

The H264 recorder isn't seen the same way as other BM I/O devices. It sends an h264 compressed stream through to the PC which Media Express can capture in, but not much else can. It's not really designed to be used with anything other then Media Express
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Chris Rupp

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Well....dangit. I'm learning...

So 1)is there a different approach I should be taking hardware wise to do it this way/is this possible? 2)what exactly is the point of Media Express vs just filming and pulling it off the card afterward? I cant stream from Media Express right?

Thanks

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Media Express is only a capture/playback software. You cannot stream from that application.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 6:41 am

If you dont'n want to do more, than streaming the camera, give MXPTiny or MXLight a try.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Ole Anderson

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 1:50 am

The Pro Recorder is fully supported by Livestream. Use Media Express only for setup or stand alone recording.
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Return to Getting Started