Vintage Computers PAL composite - Intensity Ext. Possible?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

André Varajão

Vintage Computers PAL composite - Intensity Ext. Possible?

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello all.

I have this card for some while and used it to capture lots of videos using my PS2/PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360 games.

But now I need to hook it to my vintage computers (C64, Amiga, ZX Spectrum +2 - the gray one, etc) all them with composite PAL output but I when I set everything up, I just get a small flash of the video on BME then it goes black. I tested this same setup using a C64 and an Amiga using NTSC output and it worked fine.

Of course I changed the input on BME settings to PAL or NTSC when needed.

Tried updating the software without no luck.

Do you have any ideas how I can have it working?
Thanks in advance.

Adam Simmons

Re: Vintage Computers PAL composite - Intensity Ext. Possibl

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Those older machines don't output a proper PAL signal. Those older machines output half res or less.
I'm surprised you can get the NTSC signal to work as I wouldn't expect that to be a standard signal either
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

André Varajão

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 am

As NTSC works, PAL should do the same, right?

Adam Simmons

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Nope, I know the 'PAL' output from those machines isn't full PAL frame-size, it was usually half the frame-size or lower
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Colin Barrett

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 9:21 am

Back in the 90s I used to work on AV presentations, product launches and shows etc and we often had to integrate the output of a PC or Mac into off-tape and live camera outputs via a vision mixer. We used a little box that took the PC's "pseudo-PAL" output (reduced resolution and frame rate as Adam suggests) and converted it to regular PAL composite before being given to the mixer or switcher. Even then, we would have sync problems when switching or mixing which required timebase correction or genlocking somehow. I forget which device/s were used, unfortunately, but I reckon a deep eBay search might throw up something.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

André Varajão

PostTue Aug 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Colin Barrett wrote:Back in the 90s I used to work on AV presentations, product launches and shows etc and we often had to integrate the output of a PC or Mac into off-tape and live camera outputs via a vision mixer. We used a little box that took the PC's "pseudo-PAL" output (reduced resolution and frame rate as Adam suggests) and converted it to regular PAL composite before being given to the mixer or switcher. Even then, we would have sync problems when switching or mixing which required timebase correction or genlocking somehow. I forget which device/s were used, unfortunately, but I reckon a deep eBay search might throw up something.

Thanks! I'll do some serching.

Argonauts

PostWed May 23, 2018 4:05 pm

André Varajão wrote:Hello all.

I have this card for some while and used it to capture lots of videos using my PS2/PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360 games.

But now I need to hook it to my vintage computers (C64, Amiga, ZX Spectrum +2 - the gray one, etc) all them with composite PAL output but I when I set everything up, I just get a small flash of the video on BME then it goes black. I tested this same setup using a C64 and an Amiga using NTSC output and it worked fine.

Thanks in advance.

Hi André !

I try to capture my PS2 with the Blackmagic Intensity but i have a black screen.... :(
What are your settings in "Desktop video setup" and in "Blackmagic Media Express" ?

Thank you

André Varajão

PostThu May 24, 2018 11:56 am

Argonauts wrote:
André Varajão wrote:Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

Hi André !

I try to capture my PS2 with the Blackmagic Intensity but i have a black screen.... :(
What are your settings in "Desktop video setup" and in "Blackmagic Media Express" ?

Thank you

Hi,

unfortunately I sold the card about two months ago.
I can't remember the settings. Sorry.

Return to Getting Started