DVCPro tape capture with Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mark Christal

DVCPro tape capture with Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 1:55 pm

We purchased a Panasonic DVCPro HD deck to capture our legacy footage from 10 years back. Unfortunately, the Firewire port on the deck is inoperable, so we got the Intensity shuttle to capture the tape footage. Can't use Blackmagic Decklink, because our 'trashcan' Mac Pro doesn't take cards. Even though our Mac reports seeing Intensity Shuttle TB on the Thunderbolt port, we are not able to get video to show in either BM Media Express or Adobe Premiere Pro CC. We've connected from the DVCPro Component video outputs to the Intensity Shuttle inputs. We've set the BM Desktop Video Utility to Component Video input. We're running OS X El Capitan. The documentation is sorely lacking. At this point we don't know if 1) the Intensity Shuttle is the correct solution to our problem, 2) are we missing something in our setup, or 3) this particular Intensity Shuttle unit is defective.

Denny Smith

Re: DVCPro tape capture with Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Is the tape deck set to output the signalm to component? Having an old monitor would show if signal is present on the tape deck output.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark Christal

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Denny,

Yes we do get component video when we patch it from the deck to a monitor. Another problem we're having is we are not able to get video out from the Intensity Shuttle to our monitor, using the HDMI out. I'm wondering if our issue is a defective Intensity Shuttle unit.

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 24, 2016 5:29 am

Possibly, or a config in the software not correct. BM products require that device outputs must match the inputs, so the output of the tape deck, component analog video, must match the input settings on the Intnesity Shuttle, via the BM control software you are using. I haven't used the Shuttle, but had a similar issue with a AJA I/O FireWire interface, where the desktop control software settings did not match my input source. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Colin Barrett

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 9:29 am

My guess is that it's a settings issue. I have used the Shuttle for four years now (along with other Blackmagic video capture products as part of my business) and I often experience this kind of niggle. The thing about such hardware is that the input setting for video and audio have to be set in the Blackmagic Desktop Video Utility first before making additional Preference selections in Media Express. All settings must comply with the output settings of the playback device. In the early days of using the Shuttle (over Thunderbolt in one of two Macs) I often thought I had a duff unit when in fact it was a settings issue as described above.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Mark Christal

PostThu Sep 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks Denny and Colin, you were both right. I was misreading the tape format. It was 1080i/59.94 not 1080i/29.97.

Return to Getting Started