Coaxial cable is usable?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Andre Moutinho

Coaxial cable is usable?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to use a short 2 meters coaxial cable in order to connect a HD-SDI camera into a BlackMagic board? I have tried to use such cable but I cannot see any image been captured while using the Blackmagic Media Express application. The camera manufactured said I should use SDI cable instead of a coaxial one. But I have found some references that I could use a short coaxial cable in a SDI application.

Thank you!
Andre

Daniel Tufvesson

Re: Coaxial cable is usable?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Andre!
An SDI cable is really just a 75ohm coaxial cable. Having the right impedance and good connectors is important. Even for short ranges. SDI is a high bandwidth signal (several GHz!) so you need a good cable and connectors to avoid reflections and standing waves. In general, your average analog video cable will not work well for SDI. A high quality RG-59 cable with matching connectors should work fine.
Shoot - BMCC | BMPCC | BMPCC4K | BMVA | GH5
Edit - Resolve Studio 18.1 | Debian Linux 12 | i7-3930K CPU | X79 MB | 32GB RAM | GTX1080 GPU | Speed Editor
Monitor - Decklink SDI, SDI Duo, SDI 4K, Intensity Pro
danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb

Andre Moutinho

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 pm

OK! Thank you!
Andre

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 7:52 pm

I use good (!) old green coaxial cables up to 50m for 1080i connections to ATEM TVS.....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Scott Smith

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 3:43 pm

An SDI cable IS a coax cable. A coax is any round cable with a single center conductor, a shield on the outside, and an insulator in between. In some, that insulator is an air gap. I've worked with coax "cables" used in TV and radio transmission towers that are made of 5 inch diameter rigid copper pipe on the outside, with another small rigid copper pipe on the inside, and nothing but air between. It is still considered a coax.

But not all coax are created equal, and they have different impedance properties. Although damned near any coax should work in a distance of 2 meters, certainly if it is a 75 ohm coax.

Often when newbie people use the term "coax", they mean the type used for Cable TV in the home. Those are 75 ohm, but use an F connector instead of the BNC connector used in SDI. An F to BNC adapter would do the trick, but a new coax with BNCs on it probably costs less than the adapters.

AND, FYI, I just tested out a short 2 meter cheapo RCA cable (one of those red and white audio cables that come free with consumer equipment - also considered a coax - though of extremely poor quality and design) with some adapters and it passed 1080i HDSDI just fine at that short distance. I know it isn't actually a 75 ohm coax, and that RCA connectors aren't 75 ohm either.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Getting Started