Using DPX 10-Bit RGB

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Matt Rossiter

Using DPX 10-Bit RGB

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Hello,

I'm pretty new with BlackMagicDesign so I could use some guidance. I'm comparing some different settings to see which results come out the best.

Here is my setup:

Panasonic AG-5710 w/ TBC turned on - output is s-video
Signal goes to Datavideo TBC-4000 then to BlackMagic Design Intensity Shuttle.
Video goes into HP Elitebook 8570p laptop with Windows 10/SSD drive/USB 3.0

Capturing with Desktop Video 10.8.1
Output Format: NTSC - Remove Field Jitter on Pause
Input Conversion: SD to HD

Using Media Express 3.5.2 - Capturing works pretty well.
Project Video Format: NTSC
All of the Capture File Formats look pretty good.

My question is regarding DPX 10-Bit RGB. Use Dropped frame timecode is enabled.

When I open the dpx video capture in Resolve 12.5.2.010 it looks like the timecode is definitely off.
capture.PNG
capture.PNG (277.52 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

I've tried different settings but it doesn't seem to correct. I thought I had successfully done this once.

Is there a way to fix this? Or am I wasting my time, will I get better results using another capture format?
Seems like picture is improved when it's converted from SD to HD

Thank you!

Matt

Colin Barrett

Re: Using DPX 10-Bit RGB

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 4:50 pm

A couple of questions:

Out of interest, why are you using two TBCs in the signal path (the VTR's internal TBC and the Datavideo)? This isn't entirely relevant to your problem but it just struck me that you might degrade the image somewhat by correcting twice. I'd be inclined to disable the VTR's internal TBC if possible.

As for the capture process, do you get an acceptable playback when reviewing in Media Express itself?

Although I've had a Shuttle for about 4 years now (Thuderbolt / Mac version) I've never used it for upscaling as I've never considered it good enough, and I have a Teranex 2D for that job anyhow.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Matt Rossiter

Re: Using DPX 10-Bit RGB

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. With most good quality tapes I don't need either TBC on. I can put the datavideo TBC in Bypass mode and it doesn't seem to make any difference. The Internal TBC seems to make the color pop out slightly, so it's just a matter of preference. I did notice, now that you mention it, that there is a slight bit more detail with the internal TBC off. When I mean slight, I mean I noticed that a tweed jacket someone was wearing had a hint more sharpness, but the colors are also slightly more muted. It's not enough for me to care either way. I may just leave it off.

"As for the capture process, do you get an acceptable playback when reviewing in Media Express itself?"
I'm getting acceptable playback, it's after compressing the file that I'm trying to find the best solution. After messing around with a few settings it seemed like a little bit of an upscale helped. (I'm not a pro at this by any stretch of the imagination). I'm using Handbrake to do that. Do you have a procedure you like the best?

Thanks!

Matt

Return to Getting Started