How can I increase recording time and bricking the device

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Simon Hough

How can I increase recording time and bricking the device

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 pm

I purchased a second hand Nikon D7000 and noticed it only has a recording time of around 20 minutes which is a bit disappointing.

I read somewhere this is because of a video time limit to keep them from being classed as video cameras which would result in extra duty tax for the manufacturer.

So I read that there is a hack around this using a Firmware Patching Tool and upgrading the firmware

I've read that bricking a device is bad and you should try to avoid it. Do you think it's worth the risk and would this increase the recording time substantially or not?
Thanks

Denny Smith

Re: How can I increase recording time and bricking the camer

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 2:20 am

No, the time limit on the Nikon to keep it from being classified as a Pro Video camera is 29 min. The 20 min recording limit you hit was due to the sensor overheating. The Nikon is a still camera that can take some short video shots. The higher the recording codec/frame rate the more you are taxing camera and heating it up. A patch is not going to solve this issue. If you need longer recording times, get a real video camera designed for continuous recording. A BM Pocket camera with a BMPCC/Nikon Speed Booster (Metabones) will run comic,es around the Nikon. I did a test with the D7100 and a Pocket camera, no comparison, the Pocket camera won!

Also, there is the new Micro Cinema camera, which requires an external monitor. Both are only $995.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Baldwin

Re: How can I increase recording time and bricking the devic

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 3:06 pm

There are some hacks for the D7000 here:
https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2485
I would be VERY wary of doing them. Be prepared to lose your camera because that's what bricking it will do.
Unfortunately the D7000 doesn't have a clean HDMI out either which means if you record out of the hdmi port into an external recorder you can bypass the 20 minute recording limit but the file has all the display information embedded in it so it is useless.

Denny Smith

Re: How can I increase recording time and bricking the devic

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 am

I tried this (HDMI feed out) with a D7100 and a Shuttle deck, the camera shut down anyway at 29 min., so even if the D7000 has a clean output, yiumspuld still only get 29min recording time per take. I sold the D7100 and got a BM Pocket Camera with the Metabones Speed Booster for my Nikon lenses. While the Pocket has a smaller sensor, it can record far better video than the D7100 did, with greater dynamic range and better editing with Film Log files in addition to Raw recording. :roll:
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started