Quad 2 SDI out to DVD composite or Video possible?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jeff Gustafsson

Quad 2 SDI out to DVD composite or Video possible?

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

I am trying to take my vmix live program feed out of my Decklink Quad 2 via SDI 8 & record it to my magnavox analog DVD recorder.

I tried sending my vmix external out via a Blackmagic SDI to analog mini convertor then DVD composite in with no success.

I am thinking it doesn't work because of improper scaling?

Does anyone have any ideas of what the proper settings would be & do I even need the SDI to Analog mini convertor?

Can I setup the Quad 2 via Desktop Video utility to send out the right signal (resolution & framerate) & then use a SDI to SVideo or Composite adapter cable into the DVD Recorder?

Not sure what the correct settings in Desktop Video Utility software to send to DVD Recorder.

Thank you for any good input pointers.

Martin Kay

Re: Quad 2 SDI out to DVD composite or Video possible?

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 pm

I am thinking it doesn't work because of improper scaling?

What are your external output settings in vMix? The Decklink doesn't scale in hardware so you will need to ensure that vMix's External Renderer is sending a suitable PAL or NTSC resolution & frame-rate for eventual connection to a (standard def) DVD recorder. (eg PAL 50i at 720x576)
...& do I even need the SDI to Analog mini convertor?

Yes you do, because there's no simple SDI to Composite/SVideo "adapter cable". One is digital and the other analogue, so you need more than just a cable, you need a converter.
ZEN Computer Services

Jeff Gustafsson

Re: Quad 2 SDI out to DVD composite or Video possible?

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 am

Thank you for your reply. It helped me out. :D

Return to Getting Started