Does the Teranex Express have the "Clean Cadence" function?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

davepusey

Does the Teranex Express have the "Clean Cadence" function?

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Simple question... Does the Teranex Express have the "Clean Cadence" function?

The main product page suggests it does...

Both Teranex Express and Teranex AV can detect the pulldown and remove it. This “cadence detection and removal” process produces much cleaner film looking results and can remove the pulldown even when the video has been edited and the cadence is broken.

Where as the downloadable manual suggests that only the 2D and 3D models have this function...

Clean Cadence for Teranex 2D and 3D
The clean cadence feature creates a clean 3:2 pull down sequence in your 59.94 output video.

Whilst I could just purchase the 2D model to be sure, I would much rather purchase the newer (and slightly cheaper) Express model as it has 4K support for the future, but this does depend on the "Clean Cadence" function being available on the Express as this will be critical to our workflow.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Does the Teranex Express have the "Clean Cadence" functi

PostThu Dec 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Sorry for the delay in response. The 2D and 3D are the only models that support the Clean Cadence function.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

davepusey

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Ok thanks for that.

I've read that the Express and the AV models can convert from 1080p59.94 to 1080p23.976, removing the pulldown in the process.

But can it handle cadence anomalies?

One of my sources will frequently and randomly give a cadence shift like 2-3-2-3-2-3-2-2-3-2-3-2-3-2 etc, which Premiere Pro cannot handle correctly by itself.

Also, which (if any) of the Teranex models have fans, and how loud are they?

I already own a Smart VideoHub CleanSwitch 12x12 which is quite loud.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 12:40 am

Neither of those models will be able to support cadence anomalies.

All the models will have fans installed on them. We do not have any measurement on how loud the fans are.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

rayconk

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi Dave, so I just wanted to follow up on your post and Tony’s response. I think there was a little misunderstanding about your final question about the cadence anomalies and I wanted to clear that up. If I’m reading it correctly you’re no longer asking about the clean cadence function but want to understand the cadence detection capabilities in the Express and AV. I hope I’m on the right path there.

While it’s true that the Express and AV do not have the clean cadence function, they are running very similar algorithms based on the same IP for cadence detection, deinterlacing, etc. There are a couple of minor changes we’ve done for the new hw architecture and to support the higher bandwidths of 4K but the quality of conversions, cadence detection, etc are all similar or better.

Also, I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page with what we mean by clean cadence, etc. The clean cadence conversions in the 2D and 3D run for interlaced 59.94 inputs to interlaced 59.94 outputs and it does a 2 step pulldown removal and reinsertion all in one pass. During the removal it handles broken cadences, etc to get to an internal 23.976 before reinserting a clean cadence out at 59.94. You could perform the same conversion in 2 passes (or 2 boxes) in the AV or Express by doing pulldown removal in 1 and insertion on the other.

As to cadence anomalies, all the units (2D, 3D, Express and AV) can handle broken cadences, there’s no magic formula for what it will do and depending on how broken it is, we may create skips, dups or synthetic fields for orphans depending on where scene cuts fall etc. If the cadence isn't correct we have to do something, the important thing is that we are doing something on purpose based on knowing what the cadence is and what the fields contain. What we guarantee is that we will not blend across scene cuts and that the algorithms are not locked into looking for just a 3:2 cadence, we’re looking for fields that come from the same film frame to match to ensure you get clean results. We look at every pixel in every frame across multiple frames to make sure we find the correct match. Even if the content is mixed and there is video we will "fall back" to do a frame rate conversion to create a frame at the 23.976 frame rate, so that you will get a clean result. All automatic, all running all the time.

In your case with the random cadence switch, we will handle that, sometimes it will handle it perfectly, depending on how often it switches you could get a skip, but we will handle the anomaly and are not thrown off by changes to the cadence, we will adjust to it and continue to do the pulldown removal. I would encourage you to try it out, that is going to be the best for you to see the benefits of this technology.

Hope that makes sense and helps and let me know if you have more questions.

- Ray

davepusey

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Ray,

Just to confirm that all of this will occur if I put 1080p59.94 in and ask for 1080p23.976 out?

RayConkling

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi Dave,

All of the cadence functions across all the Teranex products only work on interlaced 59.94 material. If you wanted to remove a progressive frame cadence that would have to be a 2 step process where you could convert from 1080p59->1080i59 and then another pass to remove cadence down to 1080p23.

Thanks,
Ray

(I'm the same ray as the other post, I just mistakenly had logged in with my personal account - sorry for any confusion!!)

Return to Getting Started