h264 output with blackmagic intensity shuttle?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

David Stembridge

h264 output with blackmagic intensity shuttle?

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi there, I have blackmagic intensity shuttle for thunderbolt, and was just wondering if using my current setup if there is a way to get an option for h264 capture format with my blackmagic intensity shuttle?

Otherwise, I know I can choose the smaller format and covert afterwards. Just curious.

I noticed when the shuttle isn't plugged in and I launch BM Media express, it shows h264 as an option.

1.tiff
1.tiff (127.89 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

Colin Barrett

Re: h264 output with blackmagic intensity shuttle?

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 9:40 am

No there isn't because the Shuttle doesn't have the necessary encoders to create H.264 (it's a licensing issue, as much as anything). For that, you'll need the standalone H.264 Pro Recorder or similar. An alternative is to capture as ProRes422 (or whatever) and then do a software transcode later.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Danny Nowak

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:58 am

Hi guys,
I'm rather new to the Intensity Shuttle- I'm capturing old VHS videos through the IS to my iMac and the files are turning out huge (150+ GB for an hour of VHS).
Sure, I can recompress them with Streamclip, but can't I do a similar output within Intensity (or Media Express)? I've been setting the output format to NTSC.

Thanks.

PS-
One more thing:
I can see audio but can't HEAR audio on Media Express. When I'm capturing an old VHS tape into Media Express, the VU meters are bouncing- but no sound is heard. Later when I play back the captured file, I can hear the sound fine. I checked different settings in the Sound Prefs on my iMac, but still can't hear audio while I'm capturing. Thanks!

Eric-Jan

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

Hi, you can set your capture file format to ProRes422 LT this will give a 8GB file for 30 minutes of capture,
or use ProRes422 for less compression if needed, the sound issue you mention, i have also, i just connect to the audio output from the IS, to my monitor input sound, but sound is still not coming from your pc/laptop/mac that way, but is in sync.
I also had to un-check "HiFi audio levels" in Video Desktop Setup in my case, for the input audio levels, and reduce also the (linked) levels, because the green sound level bars had "red tops" which indicated sound was too loud.

btw. which VCR you are using to capture from ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started