Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 hangs PC

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

3flight

Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 hangs PC

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 am

I have recently bought this device.

First I tried to use it mith my HP 4330s laptop with Win7 x32 ( Renesas USB controller in there). USB was buggy and it never worked. If I unplugged Shuffle from USB 3.0 port, it stayed in the system as if it was still plugged in, and if I tried to disable and enable USB 3.0 bus, my laptop hanged. Same behaviour with x64 version of Windows. Renesas chip has been updated with latest 4.0.2.0 firmware and I have installed the latest 2.1.39 driver. Same thing. I used latest Blackmagic driver 9.7, not hte one on the CD (9.6.4).

Then I thought - ok, might be a buggy USB 3.0 chip. I took a NEW motherboard - Asus P8H77M- LE, 4 gigs of RAM, SSD drive, and installed Win7 x64 on that. Clean system, all updates. Updated USB 3.0 driver (this system has Intel eXtensible USB controller, says TRUE USB 3.0 5Gbit/s blah blah). Now with this one my USB does not bug when I plug Intensity Shuffle out. But when I tried to switch to "Log and Capture" mode in Media Express, my system became unresponsive and hanged. I tried it many times with different inputs - all the same stuff, system starts to lag insanely and hangs in a few seconds.

I tried using DirectShow capture - same result.

Can you tell me please, how can I make your product work on my system?

3flight

Re: Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 hangs PC

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am

Thorough tests reveal following behavior:

- Composite Video + Analog Audio in Control Panel
- Capture via DirectShow (Blackmagic WDM Capture)
- Video works IF BlackMagic WDM Capture settings match video source (I used PAL Playstation One and iPad NTSC 480i video stand to test)
- Audio works always

- Capture via DirectShow (Decklink Video Capture)
I am not sure why you present two DirectShow filters which do the same stuff (except Decklink is without audio), anyway
- Video works IF settings match video source (I am not sure why settings have some duplicates in them, like PAL 8 bit 4:2:2 YUV it 2 times in the list, some other settings too. Wtf?)
- Audio doesn't work, as expected (this DirectShow filter does not give audio)

- S-Video + Analog Audio
- Video not tested, do not have S-Video output device
- Audio works

- Component Video + Analog Audio
- Video should work (plugged composite into Y and got BW image, so I guess it will work)
- Audio works

Now goes the interesting part...

- Tried Media Express. Control panel is set to Composite + Analog, and NTSC. App started with 1080i 59.94 (Default app setting). I clicked Log and Capture. PS hanged.
- Tried again. PC did not hang. However when I started changing Project Video format, after a few changes my PC hanged.
- Tried many times, it will alwas hang after several changes in there. Minimum is 0, max I got was around 8. If you change between two modes it will not hang, but if you start trying every option it will hang after a few changes.

Now I would like to test HDMI Video + Analog audio. I will send image from my laptop, I guess it will be 60p. We'll se how it goes.

So far - very unstable! And why on earth is there no AUTODETECT of video source format???

3flight

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 11:35 am

More tests. HDMI Video + HDMI Audio. HDMI is connected to my laptop.

720p(50,59,60) do not work. Media Express shows like I have 8 audio channels. No video is shown and these 8 channels flash insanely. DirectShow filter does the same.

1080i/p - tried a few modes - all work. Video and sound - all good.

The worst part is trying to match video format. If you swithc between different modes - PC will hang. Only if you set it correcty before FIRST launth of capture, it will work fine.

Will now try without Radeon HD 4800...

My question for now is - where is autodetect? The driver is SOOO UNSTABLE if you switch between modes. There should be a possibility to autedetect input format, don't you think? Instead of hanging your PC.

3flight

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 am

Summarizing.

Motherboard - ASUS P8H77-M LE : Intel eXtensible USB 3.0 Host Controller
CPU - Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge
RAM - 4GB DDR3 Kingston

Most of the capture options seem to work fine. The only problem I have is 720p, when trying to capture from my laptop - it doesn't work. But works if I grab image from PC. Some higher bandwith settings (1080p25+) cause audio-video stuttering on my machine, but I think it is due to slow CPU and/or lack of GPU.

Issues:
1 - Driver instability. Settings should be set correctly BEFORE you capture. Thing is that you cannot find correct settings easily if you do not know them - for example you want to capture from HDMI output of your tablet. Nowhere will you see what video format is used by it. Changing settings while trying to find proper format will cause PC to hang at certain point.
2 - there is no settings autodetect. I see this as one of the most important options for such device, taking into consideration issue number 1 above. Please consider making autodetect! Is it possible?

I would like to hear from support/devs! Thank you.

3flight

PostSat Mar 02, 2013 10:50 am

UP.

Any news?

I've seen an SDK on your website, but it is not for Intensity Shuttle, right? So I cannot make my own DirectShow filter with it, right?

I wonder where is the cause of these hangs - is it driver or hardware itself? The thing is - if I change settings a few times using DirectShow filter (Blackmagic WDM Capture), device will stop working (no output from DirectShow filter), and it starts lagging when I load this filter, BUT it does not hang my PC, unlike Media Express. Then, If I unplug and replug Shuttle (into the same or another port) - PC says that unknown device is plugged in.

Resetting Intel USB 3.0 controller helps - if I disable and enable it in device manager, and then plug in Shuttle, it starts working again.

Sometimes after changing settings I can hear USB unplug sound, as if something was unplugged. It can repeat many times. If this starts, it means it's time to reboot/reset Intel controller. For me it looks like the driver is flawed, after all. Can you comment on this? Other people here also noticed that when you change settings it can cause a hang or cause Shuttle to stop working until reboot.

3flight

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 am

UP. Devs?

cowwoc

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 pm

3flight wrote:UP. Devs?

Bump. I am seeing a similar (but possibly different) problem.

1. I have two laptops.
2. One is outputting its desktop through HDMI to the Intensity Shuttle's HDMI IN port
3. The other one is connected to the Intensity Shuttle's USB3 port
4. I set the source video to 720p@60 using Blackmagic Control Panel and Blackmagic Media Express.
5. The video input shows up properly under Blackmagic Media Express and Skype. So far so good.
6. I now open http://apprtc.appspot.com/ using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.43 m and my entire PC hangs. No blue screen, just total hang. I see the screen but the PC no longer responds to keyboard or mouse input.
7. Sometimes when I hit this webpage, I hear the sound of a device being disconnected but when I check Device Manager (leave it open while I run the website) I don't see anything missing. Regardless, why would hitting a website cause a device disconnect? (Sounds like a bug)

My hardware is: Lenovo Yoga 13, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
version 1.0.7.248.

This issue is random. Sometimes I get it a few times in a row (across sequential reboots). Sometimes I don't get it at all.

All indications point to this being a problem on Blackmagic's end (the PC never hangs without your drivers). How do we debug this further?

Thank you,
Gili

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

cowwoc wrote:

5. The video input shows up properly under Blackmagic Media Express and Skype. So far so good.
6. I now open http://apprtc.appspot.com/ using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.43 m and my entire PC hangs. No blue screen, just total hang. I see the screen but the PC no longer responds to keyboard or

My hardware is: Lenovo Yoga 13, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver
version 1.0.7.248.

When you open that site do you still have something opened like skype or mediaexpress?

Also a lot of laptops have big issues with USB 3 gear from BMD. It really depends on how the manufacter has build the system inside. If it can reach maximum speed for HD and more like that.

I have compiled a list wit working laptops. And also i'm trying to keep it up to date. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4277
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cowwoc

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
cowwoc wrote:

6. I now open http://apprtc.appspot.com/ using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.43 m and my entire PC hangs. No blue screen, just total hang. I see the screen but the PC no longer responds to keyboard or

version 1.0.7.248.

When you open that site do you still have something opened like skype or mediaexpress?

Also a lot of laptops have big issues with USB 3 gear from BMD. It really depends on how the manufacter has build the system inside. If it can reach maximum speed for HD and more like that.

I have compiled a list wit working laptops. And also i'm trying to keep it up to date. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4277

No. I only have one program open at a time. I've reproduce the hang when selecting the Blackmagic WDM device as Skype's video input, or when hitting the apprtc website. In either case, some application tries to access the WDM device and the entire OS hangs.

Will someone from the Blackmagic team please offer an official response?

Thank you,
Gili

VBS

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am

I'm experiencing the same problem with USB3 Shuttle - tried on 2 different motherboards.

Adam Simmons

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

VBS wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem with USB3 Shuttle - tried on 2 different motherboards.

And what would those motherboards be? Using what USB 3 controllers with which drivers?
Apart from the Renesas the only other one I've had working is the Intel USB 3 chipset and even then it depends on the board or laptop. I couldn't get the HP laptops to work reliably with the Shuttle even though it's using the Intel USB 3 chipset and using the same drivers as my Clevo laptops all of which work fine with the shuttle
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Sebastien Dionne

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm

looks like the problem that I have too. Always get a Disconnected device popup

Return to Getting Started