URSA + some kind of arm + Oconner 2575 leveling arm

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jay Young

URSA + some kind of arm + Oconner 2575 leveling arm

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I am preparing to shoot with the URSA, on a Fisher 10 dolly, mounted to an O'conner 2575. The problem is I can't use the BM Viewfinder as it will not accommodate any other mounting system, and sits too far forward for anything other than handheld/shoulder use. I need and ARRI style extension arm for any EVF which can mount to the top of the URSA's handle via 3/8'-16 OR mount to the 15mm rod and reach the rear of the camera to hold the EVF while also allowing the eyepiece leveler to be installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best solution? Currently I am exploring various mounting arms and EVF holders together with the eyepiece leveler.

P.S., I do not want to use the giant built in television screen, thank you.

Denny Smith

Re: URSA + some kind of arm + Oconner 2575 leveling arm

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Jay, if you are not liking the BM EVF bracket setup (me either), a good solution is to get the Wooden Camera BM EVF mod kit, and remount the EVF in a "normal" setup like the Zacuto Gratical uses, then you could use any EVF bracket arm you fancy, like a Zacuto,or Wooden Camera EVF bracket setup. This will get the EVF where you want it.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 6:00 am

Hopefully BMD will come out with another more flexible mounting option. I use the BMVF on the URSA Mini 4.6K PL camera and sometimes its several inches away from my eye! Not the best viewing option. I shoot mostly on my tripod and it does a great job most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jay Young

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, I have rented one BMVF for use with the Mini if needed, and I chose the SmallHD with eyepiece that has far more mounting options. Now I am only looking for an arm that will attach to the top handle but remain flexible so the eyepiece leveling rod will do its job. I'm sure I have enough mounting and rig pieces lying around to make it work.

John Brawley

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Jay Young wrote:I am preparing to shoot with the URSA, on a Fisher 10 dolly, mounted to an O'conner 2575. The problem is I can't use the BM Viewfinder as it will not accommodate any other mounting system, and sits too far forward for anything other than handheld/shoulder use. I need and ARRI style extension arm for any EVF which can mount to the top of the URSA's handle via 3/8'-16 OR mount to the 15mm rod and reach the rear of the camera to hold the EVF while also allowing the eyepiece leveler to be installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best solution? Currently I am exploring various mounting arms and EVF holders together with the eyepiece leveler.

P.S., I do not want to use the giant built in television screen, thank you.

I use the wooden camera EVF mod. They also make an extension arm bracket for this and it accepts the standard Arri EPL (Eye piece leveler) so you can use the camera as described.

ImageUntitled by John Brawley, on Flickr
JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jay Young

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 4:29 pm

John Brawley wrote:

I use the wooden camera EVF mod. They also make an extension arm bracket for this and it accepts the standard Arri EPL (Eye piece leveler) so you can use the camera as described.

JB

THIS! Thank you very much.

That Wooden Camera top mount section, is that rentable? No one near me seems to have such a thing. I assume I would have to purchase the viewfinder in order to mod it as I can't seem to locate one that's already modded. Maybe I can get production to purchase some of this stuff... I don't really care which viewfinder I use, I just need to be able to tilt the camera and the VF not move.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:03 pm

You could use the Wooden Camera EVF support kit for the Ursa Mini, and mount the SideFinder on it using the Arri Rosette. I do not know if this can be rented, buying the EVF support kit (BM EVF not required) might work for you.

The Wooden Camera BM EVF mod is a do it your self kit. You need the BM EVF and the WC mod kit, removes the BM mounting unit, making it more like a Zacuto Gratical EVF in form factor. The WC EVF mounting rod kitmshown in the above in John's post is a separate bit from the BM EVF and WC Mod Kit.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Brawley

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 5:15 am

Jay Young wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

JB

THIS! Thank you very much.

That Wooden Camera top mount section, is that rentable? No one near me seems to have such a thing. I assume I would have to purchase the viewfinder in order to mod it as I can't seem to locate one that's already modded. Maybe I can get production to purchase some of this stuff... I don't really care which viewfinder I use, I just need to be able to tilt the camera and the VF not move.

I doubt you'll find it rentable. I'm not sure where you are though.

They aren't very expensive (the wooden camera parts) so depending on the job ? It was worth it for me. I had three cameras on the series and it was an important part of making them truly functional in a high operational temporal production.

JB

John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography