Church service capture and playback

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Scott Strance

Church service capture and playback

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello all!
My background is in still photography, so this video game is all new to me..... Pls be gentle. :-)

Working for a church, we have a few use cases we would like to implement which include:

Primary Phase 1
1. Ability to capture an entire service from an audio/video perspective for internal review and be web accessible for staff use.
2. Ability to make available only the sermon content of the service for web distribution within a few hours to church membership.
3. Have zero post production time if possible. ie: get it right at the switch.

Phase 2
1. Ability to show sermon content within an hour for a possible remote location (10mi away) service.
2. Ability to display 'live' the entire service on local television monitors throughout the facility as it unfolds.
3. Ability to have the audio feed played 'live' throughout the facility as a service unfolds.

Phase 3
1. Ability to have the sermon content available within an hour for web distribution.

The following is my basic understanding of how this might work....

If we focus on Phase 1 items, is the basic understanding solid of how this would work? And if so, what would be the recommendations for the camera, switch, recorder, encoder and playback decks?

We have a VimeoPro account, yet aren't sure if we'll go that route for a redirect or contain the sermon content within our own website.

I'd like to stay within a single product line if possible to avoid potential conflicts.

I do not require 4K capability now nor do we anticipate this in the future. Our graphics are created at 1080 yet everything is displayed at 720.

Very much looking forward to recommendations and I'll have a ton of follow-up questions.

Thanks for looking....
~scott

michael_holt

Re: Church service capture and playback

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 am

Most importantly, what's your budget? The next question is how much do you plan on installing on your own? Are you budgeting consultants or are planning to hire a full turn key installation company?

Unless you have professional volunteers, I suggest getting much help as it will prove cheaper in the long run. You don't want to be stuck with something you spent a ton of money on and have to live with for many many years.

For what you laid out in equipment, the cost could be anything from thousands to millions of dollars unless you have already purchased some of the equipment or spec'd out things like the cameras.

For Phase one, really you do that with a couple of used Canon HF G30s with a camera operator, take input from your sound system, record the service, use an easy video editor like Adobe Premier Elements, and output to mp4 as well as upload to YouTube or Vimeo or whatever. Phase two is not much more than that.

Phase three is where all the money, time, and energy will be put forth.

Ian Morrish

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Scott,
We do something very similar. We use a an original ATEM 2 M/E as our requirement is to produce 2 live mixes. No post production. We do everything in 720p50.
I mix Internet Stream on ME 2 and link ME 1 to ME 2 during everything except the message.

During the message we require a different feed to projectors/venue screens (parents room etc) than the Internet stream. This is done by isolating ME 1 for screens and venue monitors to camera 1 but sometimes cut to camera 2 if there are stage props (using x-keys to switch). The Internet stream is also made available on demand but sometimes we selected this copy from our first or 2nd morning service depending on if we (I) stuff up something in the first service).
This signal is also used in linking to other campuses live and/or recorded onto Hyperdeck for playback an hour later (we use a hardware encoder/decoder with forward error correction for this, QVidium). We have also had to do follow playback (playing to remote campus before the live message has finished) and use H.264 Pro Recorder and MXPTiny for this (post on my blog about this, still feeds playback into the hardware encoder mentioned above for connection to other campuses who have decoder).

We then mix the message to the Internet stream from the ME 2 output which we mix on a Broadcast 1 M/e Panel (another team does the audio mix dedicated to this and handles pre-role and intermission type inserts during offering or news video segments).
The ME2 Internet stream output is also sent to a Wowza server for recording via Matrox Monarch device for archive and review (other campuses also record their local service to this if not receiving the live link).

We found having a Video Hub indispensable along with the 2 M/E for routing video.

People/roles doing the work.
1. Assistant producer back stage coordinating roles below and receiving coms from Executive Producer.
2. A/V operator controlling OpenLP for Lyrics, video playout and lower 1/3rd graphics (they enable ATEM key using X-Keys button).
3 Director/vision mixer (combined role as we only have 4 cameras)
4. CCU operator
5. FOH visual cue operator - controls messages, timer and some lyrics (for the band) for people on stage (this uses a custom Windows app driving apple TV's, not really related to live video).

I look after the Directors and camera ops (and perform either role most Sundays as a volunteer) and we have a Tech Lead staff member who is the brains behind all the streaming, linking and recording stuff.

Seems like a lot, but we have built this up over the last 3 or 4 years. We practiced the live mixing for Internet stream for about 6 months before going live with it.
Last edited by Ian Morrish on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Scott Strance

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 12:05 am

First off, thank you for the replies thus far.

Michael - my project is "funded" for approximately $25k. I have to take baby steps with this as to understand every aspect. I'll also be leaning on a few a/v type members of our church.

Ian - Thank you as you've provided little bits of information I can pick out and actually understand.

If we start at the basics -
1) ProPresenter6/Graphics: I have a MAC running my ProProsenter6 software. This is the primary graphic feed for slides, text, images, clips etc. It's an HDMI output which currently feeds two projectors. If my understanding is correct, I can take one of those HDMI outputs from that MAC and run it into a 1:2 box where I'll take an output from there to feed the back of, lets say - an ATEM Television Studio HD switch.

2) Sound. I have a Behringer X32 soundboard which is fed from a variety of stage inputs and mixed by our sound guy. We currently record that audio tract to USB. There are available XLR audio outputs from the Behringer. My understanding is, I can take a single XLR output from the BehringerX32 and simply plug that into the back of the ATEM Television Studio HD Switch.

With these first two questions, I can get my slides and audio into the switch, right?

Again, please be patient with my lack of understanding, yet I look forward to hearing back.

Ian Morrish

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 5:07 am

Yes Scott, you are on the right track.

I would consider not using an HDMI slitter for the MAC output. Just go straight into the TVS HD and use the Aux output of the TVS to "pass-through" to the projector via a cheap SDI to HDI converter. The aux source can be selected (CUT) independently from the main mix. Also gives you some more flexibility on what to put on the 2nd projector.
Regards,
Ian Morrish

Scott Strance

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you, Ian.

My reasoning for the splitter was I did not want to be involved with what is actually displayed on our projection screen. We have a volunteer in that capacity at the moment who runs PP6, and by using the splitter, they can continue to do that and I can take the feed and it's my teams decision on what goes out for viewing on the recorded sermon file. In simple terms, they do their thing and I do mine and we are separate from one another by design.

So what is the recommendation for the next piece of equipment - the recorder? My head is thinking I've got my production switched mix or feed as the output from the switch, so it needs to go somewhere for my use. That would be the recorder. Since I have a requirement to deliver a short distance away a parsed copy of the sermon only content (in addition to getting the parsed sermon-only content on-line), I thought if it had two 'drives' in which to record to, as soon as the service is over I can shuttle one of those drives to the remote site, drop it in a player there, queue it up and when ready hit "play". The other recorded disc I would use as the source to start the lengthy encoding process.

This may be a lame/weak way to do it? I've seen several products which allow for real-time transcoding which seems like the ticket instead of the playing of the raw recording. So----- is the recorder next and is there a recommendation for either a static recorder or a live transcoder for the next piece? Does BlackMagic have a product such as this?

As an aside, we are fairly small in attendance at 500+/- each Sunday across two services. We average about 100 at one service at the remote site. We are housed in our own facility, the remote is a 'portable' church environment utilizing a community center.

Looking forward to hearing back....
TIA

Ian Morrish

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:48 am

Just watch out for HDMI splitter, it can cause issues, MAC seems more sensitive and harder to configure that Windows PC when it comes to setting the display format to match the switcher (which it must match - what video standard do yo want to record/stream at?, or you need to scale with a device like the Decimator MD-HX).
Setting the Aux out to drive the projector still leaves the PP6 operator in full control, just reduces a device and improves reliability.

For recorder you have a decision to go Hardware or Software. + and - for each.
Hardware = reliability (for the most part). New BMD hyperdeck mini might be good as you can use SD card and just have a mini at the other venue to play back.
Software (something like OBS studio open source) would let you stream and record at the same time. This requires cost of a PC and Decklink capture card but would let you stream real time and capture to disk in compressed for mat for later review - very cost effective and no additional lengthy encoding process required...

You can afford to try the OBS option for just a https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... order.html and borrow a PC with enough grunt (i5 or i7 is better but 2nd ssd disk is important). Could use a removable SSD but copying to USB 3 stck would also work. You could copy direct to a relatively cheap NAS device for archive.
Regards,
Ian Morrish

Return to Getting Started