BMPCC shuts down when any button pressed

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sam Tziotzios

BMPCC shuts down when any button pressed

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:16 am

The blackmagic pocket camera shuts down when held for a minute or so.
This does not happen when plugged into main power.
The camera is almost new. Very little video recorded over 1 year.
I have tried 2 different batteries.

My supsicion is the weight of the batteries drops the connection and powers down. YOu can see the power dropping and then you turn it on again and its good to go. A few seconds on, you press any button and it shuts down again.

Big problem as I can not shoot only when plugged in.
Please let me know. Is this firmware of hardware related?

Thanks
Sam Tziotzios

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC shuts down when any button pressed

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Yes and No, it is not firmware related. Are you holding the power button down untilmthrmcamera displaymcimes on, when you turn it on? If so, you are powering the camera back down by holding the power button down too long. (Power button behavior was,change by a firmware update several years ago).

Try only pressing the button for a second or so, and then release it right away. The camera should power up and stay on. To power it off, youmhold it down for several seconds until it starts to power down, then release the button, the camera will continue to power down.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sam Tziotzios

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Hello and thanks for the reply,
I wasn't really talking about the turning on/off the camera function. That works fine.

Its that the camera would just shut down when you would handhold it and press iris or focus or even play.
I was able to find the culprit.
It was the Blackmagic battery that came with the camera. I always considered this battery to be above suspicion, but there you have it, third party batteries work fine on the camera.
Ordered 2 new blackmagic batteries yesterday, got them today (here in Greece) and they also work fine so the original one that came in the box must have had crazy issues. It would drop power sporadically like a connection was being lost inside.
Just FYI,
Thanks
Sam Tziotzios

kellyr

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 pm

New camera, right 'out-of-the-box issue.'Clicking' sound and camera shuts down when using battery.

In a previous post, Sam stated "Its that the camera would just shut down when you would handhold it and press iris or focus or even play. I was able to find the culprit."

After unwrapping, I tried to use the bmpcc 6k on a client project this week. On power, everything is fine. However, try to use battery (I tested LP-E6, Juicebox, Sony NP on Tilta rig), and it is highly unpredictable. First, there's a weird noise that sounds like a fan hitting something internally. Then, after a few seconds of recording or trying to adjust menu settings, it shuts down. All batteries were full and compartment/cable secure.

Not knowing if it was battery-related, or recording related, I ran two tests:
1) All batteries recording to SD card
2) All batteries recording to Samsung T5/2tb

In 2 of the 3 iterations the camera shut down... there was no clear pattern to isolate the problem. However, that 'clicking' noise started on boot-up and was going on each time things would fail. Since I don't think it's any fan hitting things (when recording correctly there was no noise), it sounds like some weird internal processing is occurring.

Anyone else experienced and is there a fix? I really like the camera but can't use it if I can't depend on it to work correctly.

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Contact your regional BMD Support and they can arrange a return authorization (RMA).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography