Shuttle Intensity field order question

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Brendan Roney

Shuttle Intensity field order question

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I have a Shuttle Intensity Thunderbolt which I've been using under Windows, and have been using it to capture a variety of old tape-based formats over S-Video for an archival project. I've been capturing them as NTSC (not "NTSC Progressive") 8-bit YUV AVIs, and then editing and converting the captures into access and preservation codecs.

One thing that's been vexing me is that despite those settings, the initial captures still come out as flagged as "progressive" in mediainfo and Premiere. The videos are obviously still interlaced (lower field first), and for preservation purposes, I'd like to maintain them as interlaced rather than subjecting them to a lossy deinterlacing process. However I'd also like to take advantage of codecs like JPEG2000 that offer special support for interlaced materials.

Am I setting up the Shuttle incorrectly, or is there a way to simply flip the tag in the initial capture's metadata?

Return to Getting Started