Decklink Duo 2 Mac Pro mid 2010

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Igor Renzetti

Decklink Duo 2 Mac Pro mid 2010

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Hello everybody, I'd like to install a Decklink Duo 2 capture card in a Mac Pro mid 2010.
If I had understood well this card will give me 4 independents and simultaneous HD-SDI inputs. I'm I right?
I wonder if there are any compatibility issues with the hardware of a Mac Pro mid 2010.
The card it's claimed to need OSX El Capitan at least to work.
I'll use this Mac Pro for live theatrical events with live cameras, and I will likely need 4 simultaneous camera inputs at 1920x10800.
Will this card handle those 4 SDI streams?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Decklink Duo 2 Mac Pro mid 2010

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello Igor. The Disk Speed Test utility that comes with Desktop Video from Blackmagic will tell you the capability of your recording and playback. You will need to meet the OS specifications indicated and you will most likely need a disk RAID system as you will not be able to record on the local drive. The Speed Test is the first place to start for sure.
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Igor Renzetti

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:36 am

Hello Gary and thank you for your answer but for the kind of work I'll do I'm interested mostly in the display side of capabilities.
I will likely not recording the 4 SDI streams but mostly display those even simultaneously in output projectors or similar display solutions.
I'm interested to understand if the card itself has any limitations to display 4 simultaneous 1080 channels and eventually, regarding my configurations, any hardware compatibility issues.
I'll run on a Mac Pro mid 2010, dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz, 16 GB Ram, Ati Radeon HD5770
Thank's again,
my best
Igor

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:08 am

Well this is what it says on the website..
DeckLink Duo 2
Featuring 4 independent 3G-SDI connections, DeckLink Duo 2 is a PCI Express capture and playback card that supports SDI formats in SD and HD up to 1080p60! You get the flexibility of 4 separate capture or playback cards in one! Plus, it’s completely customizable so it’s perfect for media play-out systems, multi screen digital signage servers, real time multi channel capture systems and more!
$495

But i don't think your 7 year old Mac is able to handle 4x 1080 Feeds... If the Mac even supports it on a hardware level..
Physical Installation
PCI Express 4 lane, compatible with 4 and 8 lane PCI Express slots on Mac OS X, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Linux. Mac OS X systems require a Mac Pro computer with PCI Express slots. Please check the Support pages to see the full system requirements.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Igor Renzetti

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you for your answer Xtreemtec.
The pci express 2.0 slots are 4x, so I assume 4 lanes. On paper it should be compatible.
I wonder how lanes and bus speed relates to 1080 stream from capture. Is here some math to figure out how much pci bandwidth would be required for a single stream...

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Well getting 4 1080 captures down the lanes is 1.
Compute it in the southbridge (on your motherboard) is 2.

What software will you run it in? (Depends a lot on used resources..)

Rendering 4 inputs 1080 to a multiviewer on your screen.. Not sure if the Videocard will handle that nicely.. It is a oldy too..

And don't start about recording.. :roll: :roll:

I'm not too familiar with Mac.. But a 7 year old machine i dont know.. Get at least something more recent i guess.. But then again what applies to Windows machines does not always applies to Mac..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Igor Renzetti

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 2:58 am

Thaks again for your reply. Actually this computer has a Decklink 4k extreme installed, and I can display a UHD stream without efforts of any kind.
The software I use for this type of work is Millumin, a mac only software. In this environment actually I can crop the UHD stream in 4 Full hd and display them without the machine having any trouble. I don't know if a UHD stream and 4 full hd streams are different on a bandwidth level.
Another path could be to use a Blackmagic Multiview to hook the 4 full hd cameras, capture the composed UDH from the Multiview and crop them again in the software. Totally doable to me but the only test I was able to make was with a different hardware, to compose the 4 cameras, and it returned wrong pictures. I wonder if the Multiview could be better in this way, beeing born specially to display multiple full hd in a UHD picture, and if the decklink 4k extreme could capture the composite in a clear way. But this is the subject of another topic I guess...
Actually the company I work for isninterested in a solution to have multiple input channels on this old machine.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Getting Started